Water getting in somewhere!

Caz91

Hi all every time I accelerate or brake I can hear a sloshing sound coming from the drivers side rear and have no idea how the water is getting in, I took a picture today of bung on rear drivers side and it was leaking water! Any ideas how it’s getting in there or has anyone else had this issue ? 13 plate sport I have.   

Ryan 

07F95177-4D5D-47E6-BA83-2F85795BC36A.jpeg

My sons car has the same issue, took the plug out and gallons of clean water flooded out. He is leaving both the front and rear plugs out for now on the drivers side. We have no idea how or where the water is getting in. His is also a Citigo Sports 2013 model.

There is thread on here for water ingress ...appears to come in from phlenum chambers (scuttle vent under bonnet in front of windscreen). If lower drain hole is blocked,water runs along into the sills.A lot depends if car is parked outside a lot,and at what angle,with rain running onto the scuttle area.. Get under the front of the sill and find the drain holes,have a poke about with some wire and clear the debris.

I already cleared the scuttle vent under the bonnet a couple of months ago. Had to remove wiper arms and trim at base of windscreen. It was not really blocked but now its spotless in there. We dried the drivers side rear and front foot-wells out completely at the same time. The car seemed to be staying dry inside but seems the recent heavy rain has soaked the carpets once more. So now we have removed the plugs under the sill on the drivers side and a load of water gushed out, very clean water as well, So we have sucked/vacuumed the drivers side foot wells and carpet once more, but obviously water is getting in somehow. It appears the carpets get wet even when the car is not being used. 

What is really odd is the car is pointed down a slope with the front being lower than the back of the car. Yet the water seems to first pool in the rear drivers side foot well before the front. This leads me to believe the water is not coming in from the front of the car, as this would seem to defy gravity.

Its got me truly baffled as the drivers side door and boot seals seem to be perfect with no signs of damage or crushing etc. The rear fixed window does not seem to be leaking either as there are never any signs of water ingress here. There are no tell tale signs of water getting in the car anywhere that can be seen from the interior. 

3 hours ago, Prop64 said:

What is really odd is the car is pointed down a slope with the front being lower than the back of the car. Yet the water seems to first pool in the rear drivers side foot well before the front. This leads me to believe the water is not coming in from the front of the car, as this would seem to defy gravity.

Only best guessing here,but could be the water is trapped and collecting whilst parked.Then runs down the inner sill when the car is leveled.Could it be coming in from seat belt lower mount? Sealer skips in the inner sill is another possible -air bubbles get in the sealing process during assembly if sealer runs low.....

Caz91, remove the rubber bungs in the sills on the drivers side, all that water will flood straight out, when we did my sons car it stopped the sloshing sound straight away. We are leaving the rubber bungs out now so any water entering can at-least escape easily and not build up in the chassis to the point where you hear the sloshing sound. For months we thought it was just the sound of fuel in the petrol tank, but it was an immediate end to the sloshing sound when we removed the rubber bungs and a couple of gallons of  clear water gushed out!!

It's a 3 door, no sun roof.

If the side window seal was the issue would I not see evidence of water ingress from the inside of the car i.e. some water staining below the window on the paintwork inside the car? Or would it run down the inside of the bodywork into the chassis of the car?

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto- water into the front wells, sloshing around from the front somewhere too. Lots came in the other day when was driving home. I had a brief look today, cleared a few holes in the black gutter, but not done anything else yet. I live by the sea, it has rained an awful lot- no trees but driving wind and rain often. No sun roof and a three door. 2014 model Greentech.  Is it a fault? Enough to call Skoda about? Is it easy to take the black gutter off?