Davanti DX390 Tyres - OK or ditchfinder ?

delta925

I am looking at another car.

On the front the selling dealer has fitted new Davanti DX390 215/45/16 tyres.  It seems these are only available as 90 W rating.

The rear tyres are Bridgestone and presumably factory originals. My current Fabia was supplied with Bridgestone. While swapped front to rear they lasted rather more miles so at just under 17000 miles I would have expected these Bridgestone to have lasted longer. Dealer policy could be to replace at less than say 4mm. I crossed this many years ago where I would rather have received a discount to put towards decent tyres rather than get the budget ones the dealer had fitted.

My question is how do Davanti behave ?
I would rather leave them on the front until down to 3mm even if only 8000 - 10000 miles rather than put on the rear.

The Bridgestone on the Fabia did not grip as well as the Barum Bravuris 3 I subsequently bought, although these did not last so long.

Thanks in advance.

• delta925 changed the title to Davanti DX390 Tyres - OK or ditchfinder ?

My advice. 

Reverse at full speed on the rev limiter, then select first gear without lifting the throttle pedal and dump the the clutch, once you come to a hault pull on the hand brake and sit there til there is nothing left of those tyres (commonly known as an R1) . Then for the love of God go and by some tyres we've heard of... 😁

Edited by Gmac983

Davanti are advertising big style in 4x4 mags that they have 4x4 tyres.

As to these DX390 the reviews are not that great, but since the car is there and the tyres are on go and road test it.

If it has TC / ASR switch it off and try the car on any damp road if possible and with TC / ASR on as well, 

see how the grip is.

The fact is the OEM Brisdgestone on Mk2 Fabia were nothing special so these tyres might actually be better.

If you are Anti these tyres then budget £120 to change them.

http://tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Davanti/DX390.htm

http://tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Davanti/DX390_2.htm

Edited by Roottootemoot

That is the worst tyre review I've seen. I'd ask for a medium price tyre to be fitted, Barums even, if the car is otherwise ok. Print off the review as proof.

Edited by gregoir

What is the date code on the 2 remaining Bridgestones, a 4 digit number near the rim (2 are week number 1-52, second pair year).  If tyres are more than about 5 years old look for cracking

Then say not happy with the tyres, if they are new, dealer can always put them back in his stock, and put on something else.  

Suggest he swaps with worse tyres from his selection of cars and knocks £300 pounds off as you will be changing them all for cross climates (you might not be, but he doesn’t know that), and no worse off if he offers to fit tyres of your choice.

Guest BigJase88

funny thing is my Volkswagen lease states I must fit premium tyres on returning the car

yet when its up to them they fit the worlds worst tyres.

I see it at garages all the time, performance cars sitting on dealer fitted linglong tyres. no thanks mate

Thanks for the comments.

I had a quick search before posting and didn't find anything positive, not surprising really, and not much that isn't negative.

I've driven the car but hard to judge on a few mile test drive in dry / damp road conditions when nowhere near the limit.

215/45/16 is not a cheap size. From Black Circles, mytyres, Asda etc Avon come out just over £80 a corner then Dunlop and Goodyear over £90.

Hence at best £165ish to pay out while for an extra £20 probably longer life.

From registration the car is just under 3 years old so no issues with age or cracking of the Bridgestones at the rear.

As to getting anywhere with the dealer who, as far as I can determine, is the official dealer for the area we are already at ' take it or leave it ' over the warranty.

The package with used cars supplied as Skoda Approved is 12 month warranty, breakdown, MOT when due and 5 days insurance. All this dealer includes in the ticket price is 3 months warranty. With nearly 2 months manufacturer warranty left really they are only covering just over a month. Any more has to be paid for and 12 months takes the bottom line over the ticket price. I need to find out more about the policy too as it may not be the Skoda policy nor good value.

If I was dealing instead with a trade centre fair enough so long as the ticket price was lower.

The car is good and 16k miles.

The balance is if I leave it will something similar come up fairly locally that overall is a better package at a similar ticket price in the next 3 months.

This dealer is 20ish miles away, I definitely would not use the nearest one.

Edited by delta925
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

@delta925

What is it you are looking at a Mk3 Fabia?  What engine?

Odd that it is not a Skoda Approved Used car.

?

Have you checked the Service & Warranty history?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/460557-fabia-tyres-odd-size

Roottootemoot,

The details are here

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/473228-rapid-spaceback-12tsi-20167-questions-anything-to-be-wary-of/