Octavia Vrs Estate MKIII Boot & Water problem

I recently purchased MK3 Octavia Vrs Estate

When I open the boot water drops onto the boot floor or the boot cover if I have that pulled shut. Instead of running down the sides of the frame and lights. And then when I close the boot I have water running down the inside of the window. 

I’m wondering if anyone has had this issue before and if so what caused it and how did you fix it. 

Anyone else’s help or guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

29 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i dont have that problem but have you tried reseating the seal? see if its damaged?

Thanks for that I’ve had a look but the water seams to be coming from the plastic coverings on the boot I’ve attached images

6E56A3FC-390F-41DC-B14E-084BADEE63E1.jpeg

DB69354C-96E9-433A-88B4-3D4134C28CD9.jpeg

I'd be checking the drains are clear on your tailgate.

Might be an idea to pop the plastic trim off too to see if there are any tell tale water marks.

Is it still under warranty?

Gaz

9 minutes ago, CallmeGaz said:

I'd be checking the drains are clear on your tailgate.

Might be an idea to pop the plastic trim off too to see if there are any tell tale water marks.

Is it still under warranty?

Gaz

Okay thanks I’ll have a proper look this weekend. The Skoda garage I bought it from give you 1 years warranty on Approved car purchases, whether it covers that I’m not too sure. 

wasn’t too impressed when I noticed that 1 of the keys battery is about dead and am I right in thinking you can’t just (pop a battery out and put a new one in) it’ll need reprogrammed?

6 minutes ago, Graemeb88 said:

....and am I right in thinking you can’t just (pop a battery out and put a new one in) it’ll need reprogrammed?

No, you can.  Swapping batteries is dead straightforward and does not need reprogramming.  Plenty of how to's on youtube.

Gaz

• Thanks 1

It’s not the same annoyance I have is it? 
Water sits on the rear window glass, and drips inside when you open the boot. 
Water then gets onto the plastic trim behind the rear seats. 
Seems to be because the glass is ‘edgeless’ and there isn’t anything to direct water away into the guttering as you open it. 

4 minutes ago, Gumby said:

It’s not the same annoyance I have is it? 
Water sits on the rear window glass, and drips inside when you open the boot. 
Water then gets onto the plastic trim behind the rear seats. 
Seems to be because the glass is ‘edgeless’ and there isn’t anything to direct water away into the guttering as you open it. 

I think that may be the issue I’m having. It’s obviously not soaking the carpet as it’s not wet and checked where the spare tyre would sit and it’s fine.

I haven’t seen many other people with the issue so something must of perished or slipped off where it should be. I’ll investigate at weekend but may take it to someone to have a thorough investigation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

is it condensation? or water leaking in?

Just water leaking in. It’s only when I open boot, that instead of normally running down channels that are designed to direct water,  it just splashes onto the boot floor

I opened mine in heavy rain today. No bother, the water ran off the top and beyond the fixed rubber seal and down via the tail lights. There are no visible seals around the glass.

• 4 months later...

Hello Graemeb88, i don't know if you've solved your tailgate water ingress by now, but just to let you know that rainwater can get passed the thin seal around the long red high-level brake light at the top of the tailgate on estates. The red lens has a tendency to crack away from its grey inner-part because of the tension of the clips holding it on to the tailgate and bits of the seal can fall out also. Rain gets in from the top of the red lens, trickles down within the tailgate/trim panel to the bottom, water can then exit from the tailgate/trim panel gap and get inside of car and begin to fill-up the spare wheel well.

When opening the tailgate one can hear water rushing from the bottom to the top, with tailgate now open some of this water will find its way back down again through the n/side wiring loom long protective rubber tube and ends up wetting the mats etc. I had this problem on my motor, i managed to superglue the red lens back to its inner part and with a little extra epoxy resin to make the inner crack stronger + a makeshift thin rubber seal made from black door draught excluder and a thin bead of neutral curing clear silicon sealant and job done it doesn't leak no more. I also silicon sealed the wiring loom tube to the metal work and all the other blank rubber grommets around the tailgate water channel and so far so good. Its quite a long winded answer i know but there you go. There are other issues with the screen washer tubing connectors, but thats another story not for now.

• 9 months later...

One  thing i forgot to say in my previous post above is i had to remove the interior plastic trim off the tailgate to aid the removal and refitting of the high-level brake light. I did the gluing repair indoors (long red lens back onto it's grey inner part that holds the spring retaining clips).

I was going to buy a new brake light but thought i'd try a repair first and see how it goes and so far to date it's still looking good, holding firm.

If anyone suspects that rainwater is getting in the top edge of the red high-level brake light, i first tried a bit of electricians wire tape to cover the whole top edge, to provide a throw-off when watering from above when using a garden watering can with sprinkler. With the tailgate interior trim removed and tailgate closed i sprinkled water over the high-level brake light, after this i opened the tailgate and put my hand inside where the back of the light can be touched and it was bone dry, i did the same watering again with the electricians tape removed and guess what, the back (inside) of the light was wet.

I was thinking at first before taking everything apart to just run a small bead of sealant over the top edge of the red lens, but thought this would look a bit tacky.

I hope everyone finds this helpful, regards M.

IMG_20200302_133411595.jpg

IMG_20200302_133352866.jpg

• Thanks 1