Pre facelift maxidot swap

I’ve recently bought a car with what I thought from past experience we’re a couple of quick fixes needing to be done, namely a dodgy door micro switch and a failed cluster speaker.

I’m still looking for the door fault after replacing the door micro switch and the loom hasn’t cured it.  Then, after taking out the instrument cluster, I’ve now discovered that previous owner has been in there and purposely disabled the speaker as well as removing a couple of bulbs (door open indicator and heater plug/fault light indicator) and supergluing it back together!

I’ve picked up a replacement cluster, an early maxidot unit with the same two plugs, but after fitting it discovered it isn’t as straight forward as it used to be to code them in.

I’ve tried a search on Google and the forums but couldn’t pull much info up. Does anyone know If it’s possible to pull the pin from these clusters or get it to recognise keys without having an original? What software or hardware is required?

All of the info I’ve turned up seems to relate to either the earlier or the later clusters, this 06>09 stuff doesn’t seem to be well documented. 

45CDF66C-F536-4480-86F0-E3902D455EB4.jpeg

Hi there, I see you had no replies to this and I cannot help but I noticed you have a Rooster so the display might be the same as a Fabia but may not be either... You listed this under Fabia 2 so maybe listing it in the Rooster section (You may possibly have done that, too) might help as others may have the same issues. I am aware of issues with displays but know nothing of swapping them over and coding!

Hi. Yes, I’ve got a Roomster. They share the Fabia mk2 dash and wiring ( same car from B pillar forwards) so thought I’d have more chance of getting info in here. The Roomster isn’t the most popular car, even less so for modding!

The replacement cluster I picked up is a Fabia unit but it’s a straight fit into the Roomster. I need to change the cluster pin to match my old one but I can’t do it with my usual software, VCDS and Vag Commander 3.6. I can read the pin from the engine ECU for my original one but I need the pin for the replacement cluster, I don’t have the ECU for that one.