HID Headlamp replacement

mrh

Hi there,

Our 2002 Superb is still going strong after a mere 245,000miles.  Hoping she keeps going for a few more yet.

3 years ago we had the ballast replaced on the nearside headlamp.

The same headlamp has failed again.

Are there any simple guides for accessing the back of the headlamps so I can swap the NS and FS bulb to try and determine if it is the bulb or the ballast?  It looks like I need to release some of the air inlet pipework - or am I missing something obvious?

I've checked the obvious fuses - but they all checked out ok.   The FS headlamps all work fine.

Any suggestions or pointers would be muchly appreciated.

Many thanks

I've only dealt with halogen units, but access to the rear should be similar if not the same. 

There is a bit of air intake ducting which should just pull off (no clamps or anything). Just pull up at end closest to the nose of the car, and then forwards the nose to pull it off of the air filter housing. This should give you some working space behind the light unit.

If you need more space, you can take the front bumper off, and unscrew the 5 bolts that hold the unit in place (2 at the top, 2 facing the same direction at the bottom back, and one hiding behind the bumper each). Make sure you mark the last one, as these can affect height adjustment.