octavia 1.9tdi pd 2010 gearbox oil change

My car has done 60k miles, the gearchange was fine but because of the age of the car decided to get the transmission oil changed. 

The capacity is 1.9 litres, so got 2 litres from the dealers

At the garage the car was put up on the ramps, and the fluid drained through the drain hole, but only 0.7 litre came out, even with the filler hole open.

We were puzzled as to why such a small amount came out.

I followed the advice from this forum, and put in the same amount that drained out , 0.7 litres, through the reverse switch hole accessed under the air filter housing.

We were puzzled as to why such a small amount came out

The mechanic put a tiny bit more oil in , and it started to come out of the box via a pressure valve, so the box is nicely filled

The gearchange ( I think) is slightly smoother, even though it was fine to start with.

My question is, did we do this wrong, as only 0.7 litres came out, should have been  close to 1.9 litres ?

Thanks for the reply.

The car is out with Mrs Sunnymane at the moment, but in my service booklet it states JCR, which I think is the gearbox code.

Edited by Sunnymane

Wandering around on workshop-manuals.com I found info that says the fill capacity for that code is likely to only be 1.7 litres unless the gearbox is completely taken apart: https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk2/power_transmission/gearbox_0a4/technical_data/identification_of_the_gearbox/identification_characters_aggregate_assignment_ratios_filling_capacities_(octavia_ii)/

Seems a bit odd.

Then I found a page about draining that says that some pin needs to removed in order to drain the oil and the shift mechanism needs to be locked before that and then removing the drain plug, again not too sure why: https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk2/power_transmission/gearbox_0a4/technical_data/identification_of_the_gearbox/identification_characters_aggregate_assignment_ratios_filling_capacities_(octavia_ii)/

Maybe show that page to the place that did the job and see if they followed those instructions?

• Like 1

It's "Wino" not freedom, the latter is my membership category; but either way, you're welcome.  Make sure they don't pull that bearing pin out without locking the shift mechanism first though, or things could go very badly.

:thumbup:

It would be good to know why that bearing pin has to come out, and particularly whether that really makes the difference to how much comes out, so please do get back to us with an update if you do take it back there.