New Car. What do I need to know?

Hi all.

We're picking up our (68 plate, new to us) Skoda Mk III SE Technology on Thurday.

We've downloaded the manuals, had a poke around, and feeling overwhelmed

What do we need to know? What's the first settings we should check for? What should we make sure we ask the dealer before we drive off?

One of the things I would ask is does it have a spare wheel and a tool kit, and if so is the spare a full sized one.

Most come with either repair gunk to pump into a flat tire to get you home or a space saving reduced size wheel that is speed limited.

Neither of these options in my mind is as good as a full sizes steal wheel or better still a matched alloy wheel and tools.

The last is unlikely but if there is only a repair kit or a space saving wheel they may have better options lying around and may be persuaded to swap them around.

GregSko

• Like 2

@DanKell  Enjoy, and take your time.

Full body, glass, wheels, tyres inspection. Wiper blades.

Is the Wheel Security socket there. Spare, Jack or what ever.

Dip the oil cold, see where it is, check the coolant level.

Ask the Salesperson, what did you have the Service Department put the tyre pressures at.   They can run off and ask or get yout a pressure guage.

Reset the TPMS. 

Then once they get the idea, have them go over everything.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it had a wheel in the back rather than a repair kit - I remember being surprised as when we were looking earlier in the year the dealer was "that's what they do now"...
Will remember to check when we pick up.

The puncture repair kit is standard fitment, so the dealer was correct.

Looks like the original owner has specified the factory spare wheel option. A nice cost option and well worth having.

As mentioned make sure you get the locking wheel bolt key to allow you to remove the wheels in case of a puncture / tyre changes etc. It should be stored in the polystyrene surrounding the spare wheel, but it is sometimes stored in the glovebox. Check that the plastic protective caps are all present over each wheelbolt.

Check the satellite navigation works, sometime they remove the SD card that contains the maps and forget to replace it.

Ask the dealer to talk you through the pairing of your mobile phone via Bluetooth. Some phones are more difficult to find and pair to so it could save a lot of time and hassle if they do it for you before you drive away.

Carpet mats, check they are fitted if they were there when you agreed to purchase the car.

Service history is no longer documented in a nice hard-copy booklet, it is all stored electronically. The dealer can provide you with a printout detailing any of the cars previous history. Handy for your records and for a future prospective sale.

Did you negotiate any free services? If so make sure you check the dealer has completed the paperwork and instructed Skoda Finance to send you the details through the post in due course.

If the car was serviced as part of your deal, ensure they've properly reset the service indicator. The date time and distance to the next service can be found via the infotainment system (radio screen). Even if it wasn't ask the dealer to show you where to look so you know before leaving how long you have until the next dealer visit is due.

Tyre condition - often overlooked. Do all tyres match (brand, size and wear). It is amazing how many approved used cars are sold with tyres either on or very close to the 1.6mm minimal tread depth.

Check for dents, scratches, scuffs, wheel kerbing etc. Just because the car was OK when you last viewed it doesn't mean it still is. If it is raining ask them to dry it for you to allow for a proper visual inspection.

As an approved used Skoda you have a 12 month warranty - make sure you have the paperwork on the terms and conditions.

In terms of the controls, just focus on the basics that will get you home safely; lights, wipers, indicators, brakes, heating and ventilation etc. All other stuff that is buried in the manual can be worked through later at your convenience.

Don't be rushed. Ask to be left alone with the car for some time to allow you to gather your thoughts and compile a list of additional questions you'd like answering before leaving.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Day before  (or earlier), make sure your insurance company adds car to your policy, (you will need registration when you phone), most allow you to set the start date and time (useful if doing a part exchange)

Do all the checks above, and check for any warning messages or warning lights when starting up (should be nothing)

Get the salesman to sit in passenger seat and scroll in the infotainment to service to show when car thinks next service is due

Don't be afraid to ask them to put rear seat forward (apart from showing you where catches are), it will allow you to peak under the seat which tends to show how well (or not) the car has been prepared and cleaned.

Ask them to print out the tax (might be done online during sales process), you don't want to be caught triggering an ANPR car showing as untaxed or uninsured

Check you have both keys and batteries work in both to unlock and start it (some top spec ones come with third or valet key)

• Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 10:48, GregSKO said:

One of the things I would ask is does it have a spare wheel and a tool kit, and if so is the spare a full sized one.

Most come with either repair gunk to pump into a flat tire to get you home or a space saving reduced size wheel that is speed limited.

Neither of these options in my mind is as good as a full sizes steal wheel or better still a matched alloy wheel and tools.

The last is unlikely but if there is only a repair kit or a space saving wheel they may have better options lying around and may be persuaded to swap them around.

GregSko

My Octy came with a spare wheel and I've used it twice so far in 2 and bit years. So glad I had one, no way the puncture gunk would have coped with a ruptured side wall (courtesy of some very sharp edged paviers used to border a narrow driveway). A spare wheel is well worth having.

Thanks All.

Mrs K. is currently driving home in the new Octi. 

We've been told that the spare is a full size, so that sounds like a nice bonus.

I'm sure we'll be asking lots of questions as we get to know her.