Tach illumination

Pirate76

They are all LED's...... so if failed they say need new dash, however I'm sure the LED's can be changed and if it happened to mine thats what I would do............, on the flip side it "might" just be the connector, so try unplugging and re-connecting it might sort it.

• Like 1

Yep done some research, a known fault with all vag cars, circuit faults led dies, sometime whole dash just die, repairs are about £150 I'll have a look when at some point, not a big problem at moment unless it gets worse

On 16/11/2019 at 08:14, Pirate76 said:

Yep done some research, a known fault with all vag cars, circuit faults led dies, sometime whole dash just die, repairs are about £150 I'll have a look when at some point, not a big problem at moment unless it gets worse

People sometimes paint parts of the cluster or colour them in to get a different colour illumination, so if you’re planning to replace the cluster anyway, you could have a go at using glow in the dark paint on the needle so you could see it at night😆

If you go down the replacing the cluster route, be aware that on Mk2’s, the Swing Radio can lock itself up and go into safe mode when replacing the cluster. This is because the cluster contains the security code for the radio that the car came with and they are bonded for life, so you may need the job doing by a VAG professional with the correct coding equipment.