Just joined

Salopshire

Hello Everyone

I have just joined the forum having just bought a 2014 Skoda Fabia 1.6td estate. So far I am very much enjoying the car, but have some concerns about the dreaded DPF, which I've just become aware of. I shall ask some questions/seek advice about this later, but for the moment I'd just like to say hello to everyone.

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of discussion about DPF on here with a range of opinions. Best way to put your mind at rest is probably to get a Carista bluetooth connector and the VAG DPF app for about £20 in total so you can see what is happening in your DPF.

7 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of discussion about DPF on here with a range of opinions. Best way to put your mind at rest is probably to get a Carista bluetooth connector and the VAG DPF app for about £20 in total so you can see what is happening in your DPF.

Is this the thing I need, and how do I use it?

https://tinyurl.com/t62nncn

Yes that's the one, £15.99 on Amazon. Plug it in to the diagnostic socket under the dashboard. Connect to smart phone or tablet Android or IOS using Bluetooth. Download the VAG DPF app and run it. The free version of the app gives limited information, but allows you to test that it will work. The paid version is only £3.30 and gives a lot of information about any regen in progress or recent, and how much soot and ash you have in the DPF. 

2 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

Yes that's the one, £15.99 on Amazon. Plug it in to the diagnostic socket under the dashboard. Connect to smart phone or tablet Android or IOS using Bluetooth. Download the VAG DPF app and run it. The free version of the app gives limited information, but allows you to test that it will work. The paid version is only £3.30 and gives a lot of information about any regen in progress or recent, and how much soot and ash you have in the DPF. 

Superb, many thanks. I'll definitely get that.

I thought there was an iOS app, but I can't seem to find it either, so I was obviously wrong about that. Apologies if I have misled anybody. The Carista device will work with iOS which is what I must have had in mind.

Despite that, the Android version of the app which I am using is well worth having for anyone who has concerns that they may have a DPF problem developing or may not be driving in a way that is good for the health of their DPF. If I didn't have an Android phone or tablet, this would be a good reason to get one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/11/2019 at 06:12, OldBoyScout said:

I've got one of these devices now, but I don't have an iphone - can they run in Windows 10? If not, any other recommendations?

2 minutes ago, Salopshire said:

I've got one of these devices now, but I don't have an iphone - can they run in Windows 10? If not, any other recommendations?

In fact the VAG DPF app is not available for iphone, it is only for Android - my mistake which I corrected in a post above. So you need either an Android smartphone or Android tablet. If you already have an Android phone which you are using in the car with bluetooth, you may be better off running the VAG DPF app on a separate device, e.g. a spare Android phone or tablet. 

• 2 weeks later...