Telephone Not Avaliable

deant

Hi, 

I wondered if anyone was unable to use the phone option on their car with the message "Telephone Not Available" appearing?  This doesn't happen all the time and usually happens when the car is switched on from cold.  It occurred again today, I drove to where needed to go, and was away from the car for about ten minutes, when I got back and started the car, everything worked as expected.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dean

I have noticed this once, I'd guess that it may occur when there is no mobile voice or data coverage available as this can change quite a lot depending on mobile traffic, the greater the mobile traffic the weaker the cell coverage. If I recall correctly the mobile cell base station coverage decreased in proportion to its usage in a 3G (UMTS/WCDMA) environment, I'm not totally sure about LTE 4G/5G though as I've been away from the telecommunication world for a few years,  Anyway I don't recall if it regained signal later in my journey but is has not occurred since. It could be the Bluetooth connection of course timing out but I'd assume it should be  looking for an and to end signal rather than just connecting to an access point. I could be talking complete garbage though as who knows what the techy bods are up to at VAG.

I'll keep a bloodshot beady eye on it thou and update if I see it again..

I suspect the brand/model of mobile telephone plays a part in this glitch. My wife uses a iPhone SE and often suffers the Invisible / disappearing phone glitch yet my iphone7 has never had a problem. Both ‘phones are loaded with the latest software system.

Curiously, neither mobile has any trouble in our 10 year old Golf.

As Isaidtwistnotpull mentioned above, if you have an iPhone it’s probably due to the Apple update to IOS 13 that requires you to forget your  Bluetooth connection with the car and the to re- pair and all is well.