Dashcam Connection

Hello Everybody.....I want to hardwire a dashcam on my 2018 Superb and would like to know if there's any reason not to use the OBD port for power? There are quite a few hardwire kits out there and using the OBD port seems like an easier way to do it? I'm a novice at this and wouldn't want to mess up any of the electrics. Thanks 

In my Octavia I used a hard wire kit which comes with a fuse tap / piggy back blade fuse. Very simple to install by tapping into an existing ignition switched fuse in the fuse box behind the glove box.

I'm not sure if the OBD port is permanent live or switched which is why I didn't go for that option. 

I found this thread which has pictures.

Edited by golf2

Depending on the model of dash cam you have,  some have a dedicated parking mode and may require both a permanent live and an ignition live. My Thinkware camera has this so I use 2 piggy back fuses, one on a permanent live and the other on an ignition switched live, both in the fuse box.

10 hours ago, Firstsuperb said:

Thank you JR RS. Quick question, given that you live in climate with quite high summer temperatures, as we do in Southern  Spain, do you have a Dash Cam that uses a supercapacitor? Some reviews seem to think this is a good idea?

Umm, no.  I just have a regular BlackVue dashcam.  It's a 750S single channel.

It powers on and off with ignition.

I didn't get the powerbank, or GPS module......yet.