RESOLVED Octavia 2 reversing sensor stopped working. Buzzer replacement in detail.

Hi all. My first post, but I thought I would put a detailed description as I could not find one when I searched here and other forums.

The issue was that I had no beep most of the time or a quick beep, but no display and the reversing sensors were just not working. So, to find the fault I turned the ignition to on, engine not running and selected reverse. At the back of the car I could see the reversing light was on, so I assumed the reversing switch was ok. Next I put my ear to each of the four sensors and they were all clicking, so this now pointed to the buzzer itself. Reading other posts on here, it seems that if the buzzer is faulty, then you get no display and/or no noise. I ordered a new buzzer, just a few pounds even from UK sellers on Ebay. (Overseas sellers are under £3, but you may have to wait a few weeks).

To replace the buzzer you need to slide the front passenger seat as far forward as possible, then tilt it forward as far as possible. Now open the back door and from the back seat you can see there is a plastic cover around the passenger seat belt (mine is cream). From the bottom of this cover either pull this outwards with your fingers or slide something thin up under it and lever it outwards. The clips that hold it in are stiff, but do not snap, so be brave and pull hard. The buzzer is NOT under there, but you can now use a torch and look down the larger cover and see the buzzer behind this cover. Again the clips are stiff, but metal so grab it from the top and pull it outwards. Once the clips have given way you can tilt this plastic cover to around 45 degrees (manouvering it under the top cover) and the whole lower cover comes off very easily.  Now you have access to the buzzer itself. Next pull the wiring connector out of the bottom of the old buzzer (just pull, no clips or squeezing needed) and plug it in your new one to check this is curing your issue. Leave the new one dangling from the wire for now and turn the ignition to on (no need to start the engine) and select reverse, you should hear that familiar short beep and see the display come up. If so, you know the new buzzer has resolved your issue. The old buzzer looks like it is riveted in place, but they are plastic rivets and if you get a small scredriver or similar tool, you can push the middle out and then just pull the rivets out with your fingers, remove and discard the old buzzer and put the new buzzer in place and re-use the rivets, they will hold it fine, even though the middles have been pushed out.

Putting the lower large cover back is a little fiddly, but if you look at it, you will see the cover needs to slide under the fixed cover that is in the rear and just sits on top of the fixed cover in the front. Difficult to explain, but you will see what I mean when you are doing it. Once it is all lined up, just give a good thump either side and each clip will secure it, then you can replace the top cover and thump that in place.

This is a job I had never done before and it took no more than 15 minutes and hopefully with these instructions you can do it in 5 mins!

Never thought of taking photos I'm afraid, but good luck if you need to replace yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3