Vacuum Leak!

Right everyone, 

Over the last few days I fitted my new Ramair oversized kit. The only thing I did at the same time was to remove my battery so I could check the engine mount under the battery compartment...

Next day I refitted the battery and carried on fitting the ramair. Started the engine and it was clear there is an air leak, engine struggling to not stall and the exhaust popping etc, took off all the kit and re tightened all the clips etc and confident in my own work. 

Disconnected the battery again today for a while and let the throttle body align itself (if that works!) and decided to take it around the block. On throttle it's 80% okay, ramair sounds awesome but more on that once this problems sorted!

Biggest giveaway on the drive was no servo assistance on the brakes, pedal was hard as a rock!

Obviously I've got a vacuum leak... I've attempted to check as much as I can but what could I easily miss?? The ONLY thing I did during the process was to lift the charcoal canister off it's mount and looking at it again the black plastic 'Head' that clicks in the top is a bit loose and comes off? Looks like it's meant too though?

Please help!

1 hour ago, ~AlanVRS~ said:

Over the last few days I fitted my new Ramair oversized kit.

took off all the kit and re tightened all the clips etc and confident in my own work.

ramair sounds awesome but more on that once this problems sorted!

Is the kit on or off the car?

Still on at the moment, I know what your going to say!

Next step is to take it off. The problem is I can't see how fitting it has caused such a catastrophic vacuum leak other than me leaving it half installed 😂 

I've just noticed the vacuum pump on the right side of the engine is leaking oil a bit, maybe the extra demand for air of the intake has exasperated an existing issue? 🤔🤔 will investigate in the morning and if I don't find anything the old engine cover it's going back on...

I know, it makes sense.

I'm pretty 100% it's not the kit or the fitting though, it's only pipework and a foam filter. If anything, installing the old gear would be worse as I had repaired splits in both the intake pipes! 😂 plus all the engine will be covered again  making it harder to trace the fault 🙄

I need my car for a Thursday though so I'm stuck 

Well well WELL!! 

I got itchy feet so went outside with my head torch and work light to start taking the Ramair off to inspect!

And I FOUND it!!! 👏👏👏 bloody pipe come undone under the new intake piping/heatshield so couldn't see it! 🙂

Going to have to get a new one from the dealer it's a funny one. Does this lead to the servo? Then onto what?

Bodged it for now so I can get the intake fitted again and get back on the road 🙏

20191230_211805.jpg

20191230_211836.jpg

20191230_211844.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...