Amundsen infotainment system problem - please can someone advise?

I don't know how connected it is, or not, with the fact that the car had a minor service last Wednesday, but I've developed an issue with the big central computer that sits in the centre of the dashboard - the big Amundsen screen system.

Prior to the service I was plugging in a USB drive full of music and had full screen control over things like selecting music.  Now, all I am getting is problems.  The system is supposed to bleep when the screen is activated, but now it goes into periods of bleeping when nothing is touching the screen, it is often non-responsive  to main edge button presses as well as screen presses at various times.  It won't let me change settings for the USB stick at all so I've taken that out, but I don't even have full control over radio selection, sometimes it just locks up and basically it just seems on the verge of falling over for good.  Yes, I've tried turning it on and off, I've tried different USB sticks, I've tried music from the phone, but issues with the peripherals don't explain it locking up me without anything being access or not being able to select radio stations from the touch screen.  If it was a desktop computer I'd defrag it, do a disk cleanup and reboot it.   Would they have disconnected it during the service and could the service be related to the problems?  Last night and this morning it also reckoned that I had a side light out (I hope if it's right that these are not tricky to change), but at the moment I'm loathed to believe anything its doing and haven't had a moment to go an physically check - if it is then it seems just a bit coincidental with all the other issues.  

Now I have noticed that there is 'return to factory settings' option in the settings area, but if I have a bash with this A) could it solve the issues described above?  and B ) what will I change/lose if I try it?  I thought there might be some experts on my favourite forum that might have some advice for me - many thanks.

19 minutes ago, Plantman said:

Tried the long press of the power button to reboot the unit?

Ah, didn't know I could do that - it is just like a bricked computer then! - will DEF go and try it.   Will also give a bit of clean with computer screen cleaner and see if that helps - that's for the tips - at the moment I'll try almost anything that sounds logical.

Get an update on your system.  I had a similar on my VRS184 MY18. The other issue seems to be potentially down to if you have an Samsung S8; which seems to put Android Auto into system sleep mode....taking that out of the phone seemed to fix the issues.

On 15/01/2020 at 17:10, OctaviaJo said:

Ah, didn't know I could do that - it is just like a bricked computer then! - will DEF go and try it.   Will also give a bit of clean with computer screen cleaner and see if that helps - that's for the tips - at the moment I'll try almost anything that sounds logical.

Having the same issue - did cleaning it and rebooting the unit solve the problem?

Well I tried the reboot - it seemed to give an extra bleep whilst turned off  with the switch pushed in which I took to mean it had rebooted - though nothing obvious on the screen to say it had done so.  I'd been playing the radio and for a while no extra bleeps, but  couple of days ago it did a whole load of bleeps.  So now I've given it a good clean with a lens cloth and it's still playing the radio.  I haven't had time to play around with the USB stick yet as I don't often have time on my side - which is why I haven't reported back yet, but no bleeping since the good clean - though not a lot of use yet either.  Further follow-up in due course. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the USB stick back into the system last night.  It never played up once!!  I reckon what it needed was the good clean with the computer screen-y wipe.  Seemed to fix all, so many thanks for the advice friends 😄

• Like 1