Looking for buying advice

As the title says, I'm looking for some buying advice.

Due to a pending job change, we're in need of a second car and she's onboard with getting a Skoda. It must be petrol and manual. I've been thinking Fabia (or its VW or SEAT cousins) but Roomster is an interesting possiblity too. I'm looking at 1.2 engines, either the 70 bhp HTP or the 86 bhp TSI. Budget is likely to limit us to '12-'14 registration.

So the questions:

1. Is the Roomster worth it compared to the equivalent Fabia? Aside from the fancy folding rear seats (which are going to be held in place with child seats 99 % of the time) does it have anything else to offer?
  2. Is the TSI worth it over the HTP? I've been doing a bit of reading on the TSI timing chain problems, and it looks like our intended age range is not affected, but additional information is welcome. The wife probably won't notice the 16 bhp but I expect I might and this car is likely to become the day-to-day workhorse in the household, so I'd like something I won't completely dread getting into from my Superb.
  3. Are there other VAG models I should look at at this sort of size?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 16:00, chimaera said:

As the title says, I'm looking for some buying advice.

Due to a pending job change, we're in need of a second car and she's onboard with getting a Skoda. It must be petrol and manual. I've been thinking Fabia (or its VW or SEAT cousins) but Roomster is an interesting possiblity too. I'm looking at 1.2 engines, either the 70 bhp HTP or the 86 bhp TSI. Budget is likely to limit us to '12-'14 registration.

So the questions:

1. Is the Roomster worth it compared to the equivalent Fabia? Aside from the fancy folding rear seats (which are going to be held in place with child seats 99 % of the time) does it have anything else to offer?
  2. Is the TSI worth it over the HTP? I've been doing a bit of reading on the TSI timing chain problems, and it looks like our intended age range is not affected, but additional information is welcome. The wife probably won't notice the 16 bhp but I expect I might and this car is likely to become the day-to-day workhorse in the household, so I'd like something I won't completely dread getting into from my Superb.
  3. Are there other VAG models I should look at at this sort of size?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is a bit late- the roomster is a good option with seats that are easy to access, but you may prefer the Fabia Estate, which has a huge boot, and the benefit of roof bars for household workhorsing. Or, equally, the Seat Ibiza Estate, which is quite a looker as well for an estate. 
If you go down the estate route then yes, the Tsi is worth it over the HTP. The HTP is fine, and it has plenty of torque, but the TSI is almost comparable to a diesel in terms of its ability, and it would suit the estate better. 
In the hatch variants, the HTP is probably sufficient. 

If you’re constantly going to be using child seats, then perhaps a Vauxhall Meriva may be worth a look with it’s suicide rear doors, but other than that, the Fabia or Ibiza estates are excellently versatile and with the TSI engines, it shouldn’t feel like a chore to drive after being in a Superb. 

47 minutes ago, CS45 said:

Sorry if this is a bit late- the roomster is a good option with seats that are easy to access, but you may prefer the Fabia Estate, which has a huge boot, and the benefit of roof bars for household workhorsing. Or, equally, the Seat Ibiza Estate, which is quite a looker as well for an estate. 
If you go down the estate route then yes, the Tsi is worth it over the HTP. The HTP is fine, and it has plenty of torque, but the TSI is almost comparable to a diesel in terms of its ability, and it would suit the estate better. 
In the hatch variants, the HTP is probably sufficient. 

If you’re constantly going to be using child seats, then perhaps a Vauxhall Meriva may be worth a look with it’s suicide rear doors, but other than that, the Fabia or Ibiza estates are excellently versatile and with the TSI engines, it shouldn’t feel like a chore to drive after being in a Superb. 

Thanks for the reply and the input :) Yes you are slightly late 😆 I'm picking up a Fabia hatch TSI 85 on Tuesday. I already have a Superb 2 Combi, so the serious workhorse stuff is covered with that. We ruled out the estate early on - my wife is still learning to drive and she wanted something compact while she's building her confidence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Thanks for the reply and the input :) Yes you are slightly late 😆 I'm picking up a Fabia hatch TSI 85 on Tuesday. I already have a Superb 2 Combi, so the serious workhorse stuff is covered with that. We ruled out the estate early on - my wife is still learning to drive and she wanted something compact while she's building her confidence.

Definitely put up a picture when you’ve got it.

Enjoy your Fabia!

IMG_20200205_095216.thumb.jpg.7245b3c8c17cf121656d437e71e4a399.jpg

Waiting for the ferry at Cairnryan this morning.

Collected it yesterday in Glasgow. Good bits are that it's mechanically sound (including no chain rattle at startup) and the 85 TSI is nippy enough. The paintwork is a bit tired though, especially on the passenger which has had a so-so respray at some point. I suspect it got dragged along a wall at some point.

I suspect it may have issues with the driver's door wiring loom as the passenger side mirror heater is not working and the locks cycled when I switched on the heated mirrors.

Nothing I can't fix and it's an enjoyable little thing to drive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chimaera said:

IMG_20200205_095216.thumb.jpg.7245b3c8c17cf121656d437e71e4a399.jpg

Waiting for the ferry at Cairnryan this morning.

Collected it yesterday in Glasgow. Good bits are that it's mechanically sound (including no chain rattle at startup) and the 85 TSI is nippy enough. The paintwork is a bit tired though, especially on the passenger which has had a so-so respray at some point. I suspect it got dragged along a wall at some point.

I suspect it may have issues with the driver's door wiring loom as the passenger side mirror heater is not working and the locks cycled when I switched on the heated mirrors.

Nothing I can't fix and it's an enjoyable little thing to drive.

Looks Good! Cappucino beige really works as well imo. 
Any mods planned?

2 hours ago, CS45 said:

Looks Good! Cappucino beige really works as well imo. 
Any mods planned?

At this point not too much. Bluetooth and a metric Maxidot dash are the main things to do for now, along with a neater install of the dashcam.

Sorry I’ve only just seen this myself, I could have been a lot of help. We have both a 1.2 petrol fabia estate and a 1.6 roomster.

I was dreading the fabia, having come from a 1.8 Octavia (long story involving oil consumption) but I find the 1.2 surprisingly nimble. There are things I’d like to change in time though. Like mud flaps, spare tyre, fog lights etc.

is the maxidot something that can be retro fitted, I’d really like to do that if it were possible, but perhaps beyond my abilities.:

19 minutes ago, dancingbear84 said:

Sorry I’ve only just seen this myself, I could have been a lot of help. We have both a 1.2 petrol fabia estate and a 1.6 roomster.

I was dreading the fabia, having come from a 1.8 Octavia (long story involving oil consumption) but I find the 1.2 surprisingly nimble. There are things I’d like to change in time though. Like mud flaps, spare tyre, fog lights etc.

is the maxidot something that can be retro fitted, I’d really like to do that if it were possible, but perhaps beyond my abilities.:

In the same boat. I’ve seen plenty of posts about retrofitting it, and I do think it makes a big difference to the interior, but the cost scares me off! 
having said that, I do like the green dials.

7 hours ago, dancingbear84 said:

Our one came with the spare wheel and toolkit from the factory which was handy. Foglights/DRLs would be nice, but it's no great effort to switch on the headlights anyway.

I've been doing some digging on the instrument cluster retrofit and it looks possible, though I need to purchase some tools and play around with stuff first. My main priority for the cluster is replacing the mph UK speedo with a proper km/h one, and if I'm doing that I figure I may as well go for a Maxidot too. Used ones are easy enough to find on eBay if I can find the right tools to reflash them. It'd be nice to have the oil temperature readout as well as a proper temperature gauge.