Towbar Fitting

24 minutes ago, Martin201 said:

I did the work myself and had my son do the coding required so only parts cost. Bar and electrics from P F Jones who I can fully recommend. 

How difficult was the install? I hear it is a bit of a pig. 

1 minute ago, Martin201 said:

The back end was ok but the connections at the front were tight but with the help of a younger pair of hands to help/ take turns it’s doable. 

269CCD02-DE23-4688-8E19-C36D4EB9F508.jpeg

364C8BD8-AA2D-4BFE-A5D5-4BA340AEB68A.jpeg

OK cheers

• 5 months later...

I fitted a towbar and basic electrics to my Superb Estate SEL 2017. I used a towbar relay from the tail lights and indicators but was only towing a small trailer (100kg) not a caravan. I’d look at what your towing, new towbars are not much more than £100 on evilbay. But only if you can get away with basic wiring, later SEL’s have more toys and might NEED to have programmed vehicle specific wiring. I’m about to look into this my self because I just picked up a brandspancing new 2020 SEL Estate and don’t want to fry anything.  

• 2 months later...

Morning all.

New to this site and have found it to be very informative.

Can I pick your brains re the the fitting of a towbar to my 2016 190bhp Tdi 4x4 L&K.

According to Skoda it is not possible fit a towbar to a 150 or 190bhp Tdi 4x4 without upgrading the cooling system.  Am i missing something as this is not required on none 4x4's.

Thanks for any advise. 

Hi Barrie2

as explained on page one I had fitted a bar to both my 190 tdi 4x4 Sportline and 280 L&K without any cooling mods. Only tow sailing dinghy or small box trailer though never a caravan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2020 at 19:52, Martin201 said:

Hi Barrie2

as explained on page one I had fitted a bar to both my 190 tdi 4x4 Sportline and 280 L&K without any cooling mods. Only tow sailing dinghy or small box trailer though never a caravan.

Hello Martin,

Today I started working on installing a towbar to a Superb 3 Hatchback.

I fitted the towbar itself to the car with no problems.

Now I am trying to remove the left side panel inside the trunk and I just can't get it done:

Subwoofer - can't figure out how to remove

Back seats - again can't take them out

The top plastic part (on the side panel) which supports the big plate.. can't take it out.

Do you think you can give me some indications or something? 

Hello Sikas,

I used the information needed on this site for a few euros where you can during the time purchased ( an hour) browse/ download and print all aspects of electrics, maintaining etc. https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz.

I don’t remember removing the subwoofer but the rear seat is removed by pulling up at the front edge each side one at a time where there is a clip, then at the side near the back of the door opening/ front of wheel arch push the seat down quite hard and backwards in one movement.

The seat backs are held in at the swivel between the two, unclip the plastic covers and there is a screw which clamps this in place. The side panel is held in by three or four screws and an expanding rivet but first the small panel on the C pillar just needs pulling off from the top.

6F98A855-2524-4460-8C02-4A537266DE87.jpeg

Thank you Martin,

by the time I saw your reply the operation was done.

I managed to remove all the necessary parts and then I was able to proceed with the installation of the electronics for the towbar.

I installed an original swing towbar together with an original electronic module. (The one with 4 connectors).

I will try to post here some information which might help others.

The placement for this module is behind the left rear wheel arch, right behind the subwoofer. There were no prepared cables on the car which I worked on.

The package which I bought (as used part) had all the cables between the towbar and the module (the cables use 2 of the 4 connectors, A and D).

Then you have to connect the wires in the connector B and C. 

The wires in the connector B are:

1 wire brown  - GND

and 4 other wires which all have to be +12V (permanent voltage)  which you should connect to the main fuse panel.

on the C connector there are 4 wires:

2 of them Can Lo and Can Hi with orange/green and orange/brown colors, which I have connected to the CAN wires on the trunk electronics module which was very close to my installation place. (The car had electrically opening boot lid)

1 black/ purple wire which is a +12v (by ignition) wire, which has to give a voltage only when you turn the ignition key.

Finally the last wire  black/red which should be connected to a wire with he same colors found on the BCM module , which should give a signal from the brake pedal.

This I chose not to connect because it was quite hard to identify it and the connect to it.

The installation as I did it is functioning correctly. I did the appropriate codings and everything is ok.

In my opinion this last wire is kind of redundant as the module itself will take information for then the brake pedal is pressed from the CAN wires. I am thinking maybe it's kind of a double safety feature, in case these is a malfunctions on the CAN network....

If someone can explain the real purpose of this wire, I would like to hear it.

I hope this information help others who have to do this operation.

conectori modul trailer.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 05/10/2020 at 17:18, Sikas said:

Thank you Martin,

by the time I saw your reply the operation was done.

I managed to remove all the necessary parts and then I was able to proceed with the installation of the electronics for the towbar.

I installed an original swing towbar together with an original electronic module. (The one with 4 connectors).

I will try to post here some information which might help others.

The placement for this module is behind the left rear wheel arch, right behind the subwoofer. There were no prepared cables on the car which I worked on.

The package which I bought (as used part) had all the cables between the towbar and the module (the cables use 2 of the 4 connectors, A and D).

Then you have to connect the wires in the connector B and C. 

The wires in the connector B are:

1 wire brown  - GND

and 4 other wires which all have to be +12V (permanent voltage)  which you should connect to the main fuse panel.

on the C connector there are 4 wires:

2 of them Can Lo and Can Hi with orange/green and orange/brown colors, which I have connected to the CAN wires on the trunk electronics module which was very close to my installation place. (The car had electrically opening boot lid)

1 black/ purple wire which is a +12v (by ignition) wire, which has to give a voltage only when you turn the ignition key.

Finally the last wire  black/red which should be connected to a wire with he same colors found on the BCM module , which should give a signal from the brake pedal.

This I chose not to connect because it was quite hard to identify it and the connect to it.

The installation as I did it is functioning correctly. I did the appropriate codings and everything is ok.

In my opinion this last wire is kind of redundant as the module itself will take information for then the brake pedal is pressed from the CAN wires. I am thinking maybe it's kind of a double safety feature, in case these is a malfunctions on the CAN network....

If someone can explain the real purpose of this wire, I would like to hear it.

I hope this information help others who have to do this operation.

conectori modul trailer.jpg

Thank you, Very helpful!