1.0 tsi cold start

Hi all, can anyone clarify if this is normal when I start my octavia it will idle just above 1500 rpm for about 20 seconds and then settle down to 1000 rpm and drop to around 900 when warmed up but even after a drive and the car is fully warmed if I leave it for 10 mins it will idle back at 1500 rpm for about same time and drop. Watching other same engines at cold start online they dont idle like mine at a cold start.

Thanks

How old is thecar?

While it is not a serous problem it does not sound right unless it is a new 'feature' for the latest emission controls.

It was fairly common for cars about 15 years ago to have a very high idle until warmed up. My 2003 Toyota Echo does this and it is really annoying

Edited by Gerrycan

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Being a 69 plate it will have a GPF.

It was WLTP Certificated and this is what the 1.0 TSI's  and other TSI's required.

Can this be a reason for high idle when cold and is it similar to a dpf where they need a run down motorway and does a light illuminate when it's full.

No GPF full warning light like with DPF's or any special needs in how to drive, they operate differently.

(So far anyway,  some say they notice a GPF's behaviour.)

The start up faster RPM and drop at cold starts even if the engine oil / coolant is near operating temp is all about efficient emissions control, even if just so they could get the WLTP / RDE & now RDE2 figures.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-equips-petrol-cars-particulate-filter-technology

http://dieselnet.com/tech/gasoline_particulate_filters.php

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

3 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Kental

I would ask Skoda Customer Services again in writing and ask if they are checking with the Technical Department or Factory on the information they are giving you.

The guy took my details, chassis number and confirmed the exact spec of the car including the model year.  He was away for over 5 mins before he came back confirming I didn't have one.

• Like 1

Morning, ive had a look round mine and I can see the gpf on mine, it's not a great picture but it's at back of engine underneath a heat shield. It looks like a cylinder and when you fire car up after 20 seconds it's already red hot so can presume it is that. 

20200203_044300.jpg

Nothing on my paperwork states my model year or emissions, but with a build date in October I assume it is a 20my.

It is our new Fiesta (built the same week as the Octavia) that is confirmed as 20my, sorry I got confused.

It is normal to idle higher speed until the GPF is warmed up

Will take about 20-30 seconds

There is another setting than works automatically in the background that may make it idle at about 1000-1100 revs instead of 900 revs. 

Can't remember exactly but it is to do with high electrical load (heated window, heated mirrors, heated seats etc)

Basically anything with an auto mode or thermostat could be operating in background affecting it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Kental  Look at your V5 and see what it shows on emissions, CO2 g/km

or check here.

http://gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

VW Group had to fit GPF's to the petrols in 2018/19 for the WLPT,  only the MPI 1.0 engine never got a GPF fitted.

Mine is shown as 108g/km but shows no RDE data and is Euro 6 DG.

I recontacted Skoda CS & they said the Octavia 1.0 does not have a GPF, the 1.5 does & the 1.0 in other applications also does.  They said the tank to the rear of the engine is the Cat.  This was confirmed with technical.