Mr Muscle Skoda Octavia 2008 2.0tdi 140PD BKD underneath guide.

JamesD1976

After reading Lofty79 guide for doing the Mr Muscle on the Skoda Octavia (thank you Lofty79). I thought I would write my own guide but this is for those lucky enough to be able to get underneath the car as the process was a bit easier and there was no worrying about where the hose has to go and less parts to remove. You'll need car ramps at a minimum. 

Please only do this at your own risk and safety and this was on a 2008 2.0tdi 140 BKD (other models maybe different). 

You will need the following. 

1) Mr Muscle with the WD40 top & Straw (no hose needed). 

2) Ratchet and most importantly lots of extensions with allen key type sockets and 16mm socket. 

3) Order part 410538 exhaust gasket (£5 max). You'll know why later. 

4) Long strong screw drivers. 

5) Some light (torch etc) 

6) ideally two of you. 

7) Some small long nose mole grips. 

8) Latex gloves, cloths, goggles. 

OK here we go. 

A) Remove the plastic sump protector. (4 hex screws either side, 3-4 at the back. 

You will now be easily be able to see the turbo on the opposite side of the drive shaft by looking up towards the bonnet. 

B) Make sure your ratchet extensions with allen socket can reach the exhaust clamp and allen bolt first otherwise you're wasting your time. This exhaust clamp holds the exhaust to the turbo, the cat is connected to the exhaust, depending on where the head of the allen bolt is, depends whether you go in vertically underneath or at an angle from the hole further back. This is why you need extensions (it's obvious). 

C) Undo the 16mm bolts holding the cat in place on the rubber mount further back and on the twisted angle bar. You won't need to remove the cat and exhaust. You don't need to take this little bracket off either, just unscrew it a fair bit but disconnect it from the cat. 

D) Undo the allen bolt exhaust clamp which holds the cat to the turbo, you'll now need a screwdriver to prise the clamp away, once it's almost off, ours wouldn't quite come off completely but with some light tapping the exhaust/cat and turbo will separate.

Important - Look at which way the gasket (part 410538) is on. The reason to undo the cat 16mm bolts and bracket is so you can move the cat out of the way slightly and get into the turbo. 

E) Place some small long nose pliers on the actuater lever in prep to pump it. (you don't need to do but it makes pumping it easier). 

F) Put the WD40 top and straw on the Mr Muscle and carefully fill the turbo with Mr Muscle. Put a cloth on the drive shaft boot underneath. Careful with your skin and eyes. 

G) After 20 minutes pump the actuater the mole grips make it dead easy. 

H) Do F&G over next 2hrs every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours. 

I) Replace the gasket (part 410538) the right way round, no glue or sealant required, the 3 lugs will hold it in place they do not sit into any holes, they are there to hold the gasket it place whilst you put it together. 

J) Put the cat back in place with the brackets, placing & lining up the cat with the turbo, no need to put the allen bolt exhaust clamp on yet. 

K) Make sure the allen bolt is threaded on slightly on the exhaust clamp and place the clamp over the cat/exhaust and turbo, place the allen bolt back in place and tighten, make sure the clamp nips both exhaust and turbo together. Again no sealant required. 

L) That's it, replace the sump tray, start it up, go for a gentle drive then once up to temperature give it a blast. 

I have hopefully added a photo of the gasket and allen bolt in the photos so you know what I'm talking about. 

I've made it sound quite complicated but it wasn't I've just gone into detail. Photos and clamp below, you probably won't need a new clamp but the gasket is worth replacing. Good luck. 

Screenshot_20200206-172036.jpg

Screenshot_20200206-171852.jpg