Ey Up

Sweaty_Yeti

New to Skoda, just bought a 2010 Yeti 4x4 108 bhp with 35k on the clock . Really impressed...however I desperately want to upgrade the media player to a SATNAV unit from a newer Skoda,  upgrade the front brakes which are not the best brakes ive ever known and add a few more horses as she's a bit flat with only 108 horses,. Other than that im really chuffed with the old girl, she has really good handling, extremely good build quality and very rugged. 

Same position as me, same vehicle but 2015, bought as a write off project, awaiting French registration before I can drive it enough to know if its lacking power, compared to my Octavia 2 (105hp ECU swap to +/- 140hp) for the few miles I drove it the lower gearing of the 6 speed box meant it did not feel anywhere near as flat as the Octavia when it was 105hp, time will tell but seemingly it can be mapped to 140 or 170hp with no other changes.

I bought a kit of larger calipers and brake discs together with the mounting brackets on Ebay but had not looked carefully enough at mine, I seem to have different struts without the seperate mounting bracket, I still have them if you are interested.

All the brakes are K-rap on mine as they are very scored & rusted from being off the road for so long after the accident, often they clean up after a few months of spirited driving, if they dont show signs of improvement I will change them.

I also want to change the radio (its a poverty spec) for a head unit with satnav, reverse camera etc as I have already done on the Octavia.

Whilst faffing around with it I added a dashtop storage locker (have a spare if you need one) upper spectacle storage bin and an armrest with storage and USB ports.

Would like to fit reversing sensors and a reversing camera also.

Bought some winter wheels and a stand from a Briskoda member, currently using them on the Octavia but its been the mildest winter I can recall.

Oh and I also retrofitted a boot vario-floor by adapting a MK1 Octavia one.

Aside from the better driving position and visibility the steering seems to be more direct and give better feedback than the Octavia.

Keep us updated with your mods especially any remapping.

Edited by J.R.

Cheers for the info JR. I am intrigued by the vario floor..what is a vario floor ? Re: your media unit with Sat Nav in the Octavia do the VAG units from later Skodas and VW's just slot straight in to the yeti? as they look a very similar size. 

The Yeti is actually quite nippy in the first two gears to be honest but becomes very asthmatic thereafter and having had a Laguna 3 with 150bhp for the past 4 years which was an absolutely outstanding car by the way, the difference in poke is tangible. Ive heard that some tuners are saying that they can get 170 bhp out of this VW engine but to be honest im dubious , and even if possible i think that the engine would self destruct in double quick time. Im looking at taking her up to around 140 ish which should see sensible power gains without knackering the engine. Re: brakes i just assumed that the pads and discs needed changing but with some good quality pads and some fresh fluid and then properly pumped up.

Variofloor is the raised boot floor to create a storage compartment underneath, I have had them on both my Octavias and now could not live without one. If like me you have to be self sufficient then it quickly gets filled with all sorts of "essential" gear, the Yeti one is 2/3 of the length of the Octavia one and I used 2 of the 3 folding sections so I will have to forego one third of my essential stuff but its a little higher so maybe a lot can stay.

I used a Chinese head unit, had loads of problems but now I know its limitations (cant multi-task and if anything else happens while Satnav is operational it often crashes) its livable with, it was a cheaper WinCe unit, the Android ones are better but far more money, I may well buy the same again because I use the CD slot and virtual CD player, I can manage my expectations now.

They claim the the engine, turbo etc is identical on all the power levels and may remappers claim that they use the stock VAG map, perhaps others better informed can comment on the true differences between the engines.

If they are the same then I would not worry about self destruction and being 4WD the transmission and clutch should be up to the task.

Changed all the discs and pads on the Octavia 2, they were severely rusted and had lost most of their surface, the result was dissapointing until I bought proper branded pads.

The Yeti ones whilst grooved & corroded have not lost any braking surface, its just rusty and tramlined and I intend sacrificing the existing pads in trying to get them back to smooth, it has happened on previous vehicles but I did drive much harder then and carried loads all the time, we will see, its worth a shot but they are very very poor at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweaty Yeti Updates: New front discs and Brembo pads...muuuuch better.

New (to me) Skoda RN315 sat nav /bluetooth/ hands free phone media setup, goes straight into the hole where the original CD player sat, wires for teh microphone easy install up into the overhead light unit, new fascia trim fitted and it looks amazing -and bang up to date, very posh.

Stage 1 tune and the difference is definately worth the cost, I didnt want a racing car but definately wanted a bit more oooomph.... and ive got it now. 

Took her out in the snow this morning, down the hill from my house, popped the 'Slippery Road' button on and let her take me down the snowy hill......past the big fat slippy slidey Range Rover who pulled off the road ..oh how I laughed.