can a map for a BXE be used on a BKC?

got a BKC and already have a map for a BXE engine. I just wondered if the map would be compatible? though ive heard the BKC is euro 3 and the BXE euro 4? anyone confirm this? seems odd as both engines are around at the same time it seems.

Do you mean map as in remap or ECU?

My BKC is Euro 4, if a BXE engine would fit and all my sensors could be fitted to it then I expect it would run, the BKC is a PD engine, is the BXE?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MicMac said:

It's possible the variables would be compatible but the map would need editing to work on the specific ECU it was to be used on.

For a cheap DIY flash try http://blacksmoke.co.uk

ive used this company before for a friends car. ive emailed them as the BXE map is from them and the car it was on has since been scrapped. not had a reply yet.

I think you might be the guy I read bought an ecu off eBay. It was listed as working on bkc and BXE. So I wonder if there is any difference at all in the basic engine.

Edited by cypher007

Well spotted!

Did no take notice of the two different engine codes back then, looks like you have your answer!

So if I have understood you have an ECU off a friends car that has been remapped like the one I have?

If it was a plug n play purchase like mine then it should work on your vehicle but you will no longer have the protection of (and potential problems from) the immobiliser, if he has his original ECU as a spare then you will be fine.

If not then you will need to find a spotty teenager to do disable your immobiliser.

I would say all the sensors and actuators are compatible but I do recall having to specify exactly what engine code I had, maybe the ECU's are interchangeable but need different programming?

My cruise control did not work after the change but it just needed enabling in the ECU using VCDS.

not exactly. my friends car was flashed to a black smoke map he bought. I have the file and a suitable cable. so as the car it was originally purchased for has since been scrapped I cant see an issue in using it on the BKC. its a 135bhp map so maybe slightly less aggressive.

my main concern was someone said the BKC was euro3 and the BXE was euro4. with this info plus not getting why VAG made several engine types all with the same power around the same time I was starting to wonder if there was more differences than maybe just conrods etc. someone also said on the same thread that was why his BXE had a higher MPG than the BKC.

think I may download the existing map then try it and see. black smoke still haven't got back to me on compatibility.

I know that my 2006 BKC 105hp (stock) is EU4 compliant as I have a certificate of conformity for it.

114g CO2 I think, might be 117, my EU5 Yeti with 108hp is rated at 145g CO2, - go figure! 🙁

Even that is probably still well short of the true figure.

Hope you dont brick or lock up your ECU when trying to load the map, doubt that Black Smoke will want to help, I have my old ECU as a spare but they look cheap and easily available on E-bay, there will be the immobiliser issue to overcome though.

doing it the way i did by buying a pre-programmed supposedly plug & play ECU I was confident that if there was a problem I could refit the original.

• Like 1

I think there may be some confusion here as to the procedures involved and I am no stranger to the phenomenon!

AFAIK it's not quite as simple as flashing an ECU with a map file.  Provided everything else is a match I'm pretty confident the serial/VIN numbers encoded within the file need to match the physical hardware/ECU otherwise it won't start.

Of course I may be in error and in any case there will be software available to tweak your map yourself if you look in the right places.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

114g CO2 I think, might be 117, my EU5 Yeti with 108hp is rated at 145g CO2, - go figure! 🙁

CO2 is produced directly proportional to the amount of fuel burnt over a given distance, so a bigger heavier car will tend to have worse CO2 emission figures, even if other pollutant levels are lower. Also some pollution control features, such as DPFs, can actually make CO2 emissions worse rather than better.

Edited by nick74

Its smaller & lighter with an EU5 emissions standard engine, no way does that equate to an increase of 34%

9 minutes ago, MicMac said:

I think there may be some confusion here as to the procedures involved and I am no stranger to the phenomenon!

AFAIK it's not quite as simple as flashing an ECU with a map file.  Provided everything else is a match I'm pretty confident the serial/VIN numbers encoded within the file need to match the physical hardware/ECU otherwise it won't start.

Of course I may be in error and in any case there will be software available to tweak your map yourself if you look in the right places.

I was thinking that as well, otherwise Black circles business model would not work, everybody would be selling on the files that one person once paid for.

I used a map for my old Leon 1.9 TDI ASV engine with our other Seat ASV engine car. worked no problem. well at least until the head gasket started leaking. then reverted back to stock and got the head done.

Edited by cypher007