Wheel removal - am I missing something obvious

steeve

Flat tyre due to large nail. Alloy wheels, jacked it up, removed the 5 bolts, but the wheel isn't moving at all, not even turning - is that normal? 

Went online and found that it's common for the wheel to be seized, so tried removing the jack, rocking the car, even rolling her down hill a few feet, finally hitting from the underside with a mallet, all to no avail. 

The fact that the wheel is not even turning when jacked up is making me think that perhaps I'm missing something really obvious? 

Otherwise, is there anything else I can do?

Common problem with alloy wheels on steel hubs that have been driven along salted roads,   the wet salt solution spashes it and causes a kind of chemical fusion between the metals

You are basically doing all the usual, normally you slacken the bolts and move it a wheel rotation or 2, or wobble (sideways) it before jacking to slacken the bond.

The wheel not turning will be because handbrake is on, or car in gear (or park)

You could try some penetrating oil or WD40, but I suspect it is going to be a bigger (heavier) mallet required (but stick the spare under the sill with some wood blocks if required as back up support, as shouldn't just rely on emergency jack if you are swinging a big hammer around)

If you don't swap summer/winter wheels or rotate tyres (to even) wear at least once a year then putting a smidge of copper grease on the flat surface should prevent this happening again

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replying so fast! Ok, good to know I'm not being completely stupid then. The little skoda badge in the centre of the wheel doesn't need to come off, does it? Just the 5 bolts... 

Not that keen on hitting it so hard when it's on those small jacks, but I guess if I put the spare wheel underneath the car then it will be safer.

Couple of things to try, easiest first:

Firstly, with wheel nuts loosened slightly (less than half a turn), manouevre the car very slowly back and forth, turning left and right (imagine a slalom) for as short a distance as possible. e.g. 2 or 3 car lengths. Listen for any noise which might indicate a problem.  You're just trying to break the bonding force between the wheel and the hub.  I put a wristband over the gear knob any time I do something like that (connect a battery charger etc) so I remember it's not safe to drive normally - or more importantly my wife asks "what's that there for". Try a few times.

Failing that, roll the spare tyre against the tyre wall when the wheel is jacked slightly off the floor (and without bolts on).  Mind your wheel arches.

A combination of these approaches has always worked for me when the rubber mallet hasn't.

Good luck.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Thanks 1

No, the centre badge doesn't make a difference.

All I can suggest is get the car supported properly, grab the wheel and rag it side to side as hard as you can, spin it a bit and repeat.

You might want to put a wheel bolt back in a turn so it does stun you when it finally comes free.

Put a smear of copper grease on the hub to stop it happening again.

• Thanks 1