2006 Octavia Tour Wiper Failure

SeanRyan

Hey all,

Woke up this morning to find the wipers on my Octavia Tour were not working, they were functioning perfect up until last night, the water still flows when you pull the stalk so i'm thinking (hoping) that it's just the fuse for the motor?

Does that sound feasible, also would anyone have any idea about the location of the correct fuse to inspect, i'm fine when it comes to mechanical tinkering but when it comes to electrical I would be quite the amateur and the most i could do myself would be inspect or change a fuse.

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, SeanRyan said:

the wipers on my Octavia Tour were not working

That's most often the spindles having corrosion on them that stops the motor being powerful enough to turn them. Strip down, clean and lubricate the spindles.

7 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

That's most often the spindles having corrosion on them that stops the motor being powerful enough to turn them. Strip down, clean and lubricate the spindles.

Lovely, Now there was no straining noise or anything when the wiper was turned on, just no movement, and they have been working perfectly up until then. Would this not be an issue that starts off intermittently and gradually get worse over time, as opposed to being a sudden acute issue? 

*The issue was not discovered by me my girlfriend has the car about an hours drive away and she woke up to the problem this morning. so it'll be this even before i get to look at it myself.*

On 26/02/2020 at 09:13, SeanRyan said:

Lovely, Now there was no straining noise or anything when the wiper was turned on, just no movement, and they have been working perfectly up until then. Would this not be an issue that starts off intermittently and gradually get worse over time, as opposed to being a sudden acute issue? 

*The issue was not discovered by me my girlfriend has the car about an hours drive away and she woke up to the problem this morning. so it'll be this even before i get to look at it myself.*

On Octy MkI there is a relay which controls wipers. Seized mechanism is common issue as the wiper motor

relay.jpg

Cheers folks, found another forum that mentioned the same type of issue. said to put the wipers on and try move them by hand, got the wipers working perfectly now and no issue.

If it is the spindles that need re greasing, is that something that would need immediate work, or could i get away with it for another while.