steering very heavy when on a lift and engine off

round at my mechanics and whilst it was on the ramp for some work he noticed it very difficult to turn the front wheels left or right, as if the rack is partially seized.

also maybe connected ive just had 4 wheel alignment and its weird. I had a seized camber adjuster on the passenger side that we freed off. when I went back and had the alignment check and adjusted again they print out a before and after. on the first occasion both front wheels were tracking too far to the left after adjustment spot on, according to there print out. second time shows the front wheels tracking too far to the right after spot on. whats going on surely the rear camber wouldn't throw the front alignment?

No sure the issue with your steering, is it heavy when the engine is on? where the wheels floating in the air? It’s an electric rack so unsure how it behaves when off but it could be completely normal.

you should alway do the geometry with the back first then the front, it will throw the geometry out as you’ve found out, I’m amazed whoever was doing the 4 wheel alignment wasn’t aware of this. 

Mine is always stiff when the wheels are off the ground compared to a hydraulic steering rack, if you have ever done or seen a strip down of an electric PAS rack then you would understand why and also why they have such a dead unconnected feel.

I hate the things, a real backwards step and one IMO deliberately taken because they know that not long from now most drivers will accept the vehicle making the steering inputs, for many that is already the case, and the rest of us wont have any choice.

To answer vrsburnzy. Yes with the wheels free floating without any weight on them.

Next time my A3 is on the ramp I'll check it and see if it's the same. As it had electromechanical.