Mondeo sized hybrids

gadgetman

A new role I've accepted will require me to select my company vehicle. 

With all the various emission zones coming into force around the UK, and the diesel ban for Bristol, I'm looking at being prepared by going hybrid. 

Criteria is must be Mondeo estate sized (boot capacity) 

There doesn't currently seem to be many options below the premium classes (BMW 3 series E etc). 

So far the list for test drives 

Passat GTE Estate 

Mondeo Zetec Hybrid

Peugeot 508 Azure 

Am I missing any others of similar spec, size and price? 

So far expected annual mileage is pushing the limit on being able to get a Hybrid, so may have to change to looking at a petrol instead 

Hello, forgive me if I'm stating the obvious! I have purchased a Skoda Superb IV that would fit some of your criteria and tick a few boxes, it has quality reviews and so far I'm really pleased with it.

• Like 1

My car (Superb PHEV) was in stock, not necessarily a long delivery depending on whether the stock available meets your expectations, I compromised a bit on the spec to qualify for a January sale discount. I believe the Octavia IV has not been released yet and clearly this would probably result in a long delivery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Car was great, VED at nearly £500 not so much 

Far as I know the Superb IV is essentially a GTE underneath with the same engine and chassis. From the reviews I think the drive is better and interior more refined on the GTE. I'm surprised the VED is high on what is supposed to be an economical hybrid!?

3 hours ago, carliv said:

Far as I know the Superb IV is essentially a GTE underneath with the same engine and chassis. From the reviews I think the drive is better and interior more refined on the GTE. I'm surprised the VED is high on what is supposed to be an economical hybrid!?

Because the government changed the bands again so if the delivered price was more than £40k you have to pay an extra £320 in VED for the first 5 years. 

Idea was to catch people with Ferraris etc whose VED was zero but has an unintentional impact on hybrids as most average cars are already mid £30k without any extras and after government subsidy for the first owner. 

Maybe the budget on Wednesday might reverse? 

• Like 1

I rented a Ford Fusion hybrid in the USA last year and it looked like a Mondeo but a saloon rather than an estate car. The boot was useless as a large part of it was taken up by the hybrid system. I struggled to get the luggage in, which fell into our Fabia estate to get to Heathrow. Also there was no room for a spare wheel, which was very useful when we got a puncture in small town North Carolina. :notme:

• Like 1

On 09/03/2020 at 12:14, gadgetman said:

Because the government changed the bands again so if the delivered price was more than £40k you have to pay an extra £320 in VED for the first 5 years. 

Idea was to catch people with Ferraris etc whose VED was zero but has an unintentional impact on hybrids as most average cars are already mid £30k without any extras and after government subsidy for the first owner. 

Maybe the budget on Wednesday might reverse? 

I understand now. Give with one hand and take with the other. Normal government policies.. I hear the fuel duty cap will be scrapped, which is bad news for those that claim mileage. Will be interested to see what comes

from it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody could of anticipated what effect the crisis would have on our day to day lives at home and work, it still feels quite surreal and I hope that you have been able to stay safe 👍

I have timed things poorly with arranging long term mortgages before the base rate fell and investing in an car and not being able to go out and see customers. It saddens me but financial mistakes don't amount to much when I think of what some families are going through at the moment.

• Like 1