An FYI regarding the Yeti 1.2 Sump pan

Shaunieboy

Its steel. For anyone with anxiety about the horror stories of aluminium sumps and threads stripping like a knife through butter... don't. It's been one of my biggest fears and I cringe everytime I'm torqueing up the plug. 

I've also seen posts where people have been bleating on about the threads of the sump plug doing the 'sealing job' as they bite into the aluminium. You must get a microscope out to inspect the threads of the plug before installation etc etc Again, not entirely applicable or relevant.

I've replaced the steel sump washer with a copper one on mine and torque up to spec.

A simple test with a magnet will put your mind at rest, it may well be across the board on Yetis.

Cheers

Sucking it out of the dipstick hole gets rid of all those worries.
And saves removing the undertray too
And pumping it into an empty oil can saves clearing up the drain tray.

7 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Sucking it out of the dipstick hole gets rid of all those worries.
And saves removing the undertray too
And pumping it into an empty oil can saves clearing up the drain tray.

Alas, I'm totally with you on that. I use a Pela on the Superb every time. The suction tube won't fit down the dipstick hole of the Yeti 1.2tsi. I was devastated when we got the yeti and realised I'll have to crawl around on the floor. Fortunately I can get underneath to undo the plug without the need for jacking up and theres no undertray covering the plug on ours.

2 hours ago, Shaunieboy said:

I've also seen posts where people have been bleating on about the threads of the sump plug doing the 'sealing job' as they bite into the aluminium.

:D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

I use a Pela on the Superb every time. The suction tube won't fit down the dipstick hole of the Yeti 1.2tsi. I was devastated when we got the yeti and realised I'll have to crawl around on the floor.

I use the 12v electric pump from Lidl at about £13, it fits easily down the dipstick hole and empties the sump in about 4-5 minutes.

See the source image

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Urrell said:

I use the 12v electric pump from Lidl at about £13, it fits easily down the dipstick hole and empties the sump in about 4-5 minutes.

See the source image

You sir, have just blown my mind.

Is yours a 1.2?

If you strip the threads out on anything that hasn't already been compromised by previous over tightening or corrosion then you shouldn't really be allowed tools. 

I think I re used my sump plug on my old Golf about 7 or 8 times in an ally sump, we are not talking about holding down a cylinder head here, we just need it to keep a bit of oil in.

Edited by SuperbTWM

8 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

If you strip the threads out on anything that hasn't already been compromised by previous over tightening or corrosion then you shouldn't really be allowed tools. 

Not the most helpful comment I've ever read, but I'm sure it wasnt aimed at me directly..

In a perfect world, yes. Threads would never strip, heads would never shear, manufacturing faults would never ruin your day and manufacturers' R&D departments would all be prize winners (even Skoda). Previous owners/mechanics would never have unknowingly left you with half rounded bolts, half stripped threads, torqued things in the wrong sequence. Put lubrication in places it was never meant to go (🧐)

A simple job like an oil change should be do-able by pretty much anyone, and everyone who has ever done it had a 'first time'.

Follow the instructions thoroughly and use the correct tools. In not saying a beginner should be doing a top end rebuild.

• Like 1

@Shaunieboy I’m not suggesting you hang up your tools, I just think your fear of aluminium sumps is rediculous and is based on other people’s mistakes and general incompetence. 

Aluminium or steel, if somebody in the past has cross threaded the sump plug or over tightened there’s a good chance there will be issues in the future but there is nothing you can do about it apart from carry on doing the best you can and deal with it if the problem arises. 

15 hours ago, Shaunieboy said:

You sir, have just blown my mind.

Is yours a 1.2?

Mine is as per my information, is the 1.2 a smaller dipstick tube diameter?

Ah I see yours now. You have CAY* 1.6. Same as in my Superb. 

Yes unfortunately the dipstick tube is smaller on the 1.2 petrol.

It slips down no problem with the Pela on the superb but it just gets stuck a few cm down on the Yeti.

2 hours ago, Shaunieboy said:

Yes unfortunately the dipstick tube is smaller on the 1.2 petrol.

Aldi pump suction is 6mm.