Warranty and servicing

DRGW

When I bought my Yeti, I was advised it came with a year MOT, warranty (which includes servicing, parts and labour) and also roadside assistance. I was also advised that if I purchase it on PCP finance it would come with a further mot, warranty and roadside assistance.

Having had the MOT carried out at no cost as I would have expected, I was concerned to have a bill for almost £200.00 for the servicing. It was only when I questioned this with the new dealer that it became apparent I had been incorrectly advised and also mis sold a financial product. Had I known that I would not have had a further MOT, warranty and roadside assistance, I would not have taken out PCP but would have paid for the vehicle outright.

I did have a number of issues with the original dealer (Blade, Weston-super-Mare) but now have been dealing with Heritage in Bristol with no issues.

The original salesman is no longer with the dealer and they have said unless I have something in writing, they cannot help.

Has anybody else been incorrectly advised on what the warranty includes and mis sold PCP?

• Like 1

@DRGW

It matters not that the salesperson has moved on, or currently we are in 'Lock Down'.  Mis-selling is mis-selling and this will need addressed by the Employer of the salesperson.

You will not be the only customer that will have been mis-sold so the Dealer Principal or the Company Directors need to think again if they think they can just wash their hands of it.

You must have had some paperwork  - salesmen often a bit liberal with the truth - but right as above your contract is with the dealer who sold it ( possibly ) not just sure about PCP - might be the finance company as they own the vehicle  

On 13/04/2020 at 13:16, DRGW said:

they have said unless I have something in writing, they cannot help.

As much as I hate to see people taken in by sales bu*****t without anything in writing what is there to go on aside from" he said - she said"?

I am assuming it was an approved used Skoda and the PCP is via Skoda Finance, as you say you got a full one year warranty and roadside assistance, standard for an approved used purchase. This is what you're offered if you are self-funding the purchase.

Note, no free servicing...

image.png.46cb5ddff902380dbb1b4884c7129983.png

Basically a 1 year warranty, 1 year roadside assistance and the first MOT are included.

However, if you finance the car using a Skoda Finance PCP, as you have, Skoda's current offer is different...

image.png.60777c3e029ae6f8696137b87769b738.png

image.png.8b88a2f7d076ddd5fab2b0d94fbba7f6.png

Here you get a choice of servicing, but at a cost.

If financing the car using a PCP you get an additional 12 months warranty (24 months in total) and an additional 12 months roadside assistance (24 months in total). The servicing offer is an additional £169.

On 13/04/2020 at 12:16, DRGW said:

When I bought my Yeti, I was advised it came with a year MOT, warranty (which includes servicing, parts and labour) and also roadside assistance. I was also advised that if I purchase it on PCP finance it would come with a further mot, warranty and roadside assistance.

Having had the MOT carried out at no cost as I would have expected, I was concerned to have a bill for almost £200.00 for the servicing.

Reading what you've written, the only mention of free servicing appears to be part of the used car warranty (highlighted in bold)?

If you needed to claim under warranty, the parts and labour are included, however servicing is always separate to the warranty.

Depending on when you bought the Yeti, and what the offers were at that time, being charged for the service is understandable, servicing costs always fall outside of the warranty.

I received a letter from Skoda Finance a few weeks after collecting the car detailing the free servicing.

I suspect you might have misinterpreted what the salesman was saying, or he has deliberately tried to confuse you.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Arnold Clark sell a 2 year Service & MOT Plan.   When selling a car the salesman to sweeten the Deal 'gives you the plan'  for free.

Some sort of Added to the Finance Deal, then deducted from the finance goes on.

It allows them to 'Make less profit on the sale because of the Service Plan they give away'.  

It is all Kidology for HMRC.

A Voucher gets sent to you. 

It shows the cost of the 1 Year Plan or a 2 year plan.

You do get the Services and MOT, and the really crap servicing might just happen to throw up a Mot Fail as the 2 things are pretty much happening at the same time, only your car might fail the MOT having not yet had a Service.

Your phone will ring with them trying to Upsell, the Brakes needing new discs / pads, the Brake Fluid change, the fuel system clean etc.

Wheel Alignment / Tracking, new tyre....  They have a fail and your car is staying with them, if the service was done you could have taken it to another repairer that is going to be more reasonable.   One that would say, 'That is not a fail!'.

Servicing film sent to you in the MOT Inspection area in some cases.   Amazing how they can find all the things wrong that were not there when they MOT'd the year before when prepping and MOTing the car ready for a new customer.  Stuff that was on Advisories or more importantly caused a fail and should have been done 12 months before fail them again 12 months later.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

15 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I am assuming it was an approved used Skoda and the PCP is via Skoda Finance, as you say you got a full one year warranty and roadside assistance, standard for an approved used purchase. This is what you're offered if you are self-funding the purchase.

Note, no free servicing...

image.png.46cb5ddff902380dbb1b4884c7129983.png

Basically a 1 year warranty, 1 year roadside assistance and the first MOT are included.

However, if you finance the car using a Skoda Finance PCP, as you have, Skoda's current offer is different...

image.png.60777c3e029ae6f8696137b87769b738.png

image.png.8b88a2f7d076ddd5fab2b0d94fbba7f6.png

Here you get a choice of servicing, but at a cost.

If financing the car using a PCP you get an additional 12 months warranty (24 months in total) and an additional 12 months roadside assistance (24 months in total). The servicing offer is an additional £169.

Reading what you've written, the only mention of free servicing appears to be part of the used car warranty (highlighted in bold)?

If you needed to claim under warranty, the parts and labour are included, however servicing is always separate to the warranty.

Depending on when you bought the Yeti, and what the offers were at that time, being charged for the service is understandable, servicing costs always fall outside of the warranty.

I received a letter from Skoda Finance a few weeks after collecting the car detailing the free servicing.

I suspect you might have misinterpreted what the salesman was saying, or he has deliberately tried to confuse you.

Many thanks for your help and advice. My Yeti was from a main dealer and an approved used model. I was encouraged/advised to take it out on PCP and looking at the information you have supplied this does show 24 months warranty and roadside assistance.

Whilst it was already MOT'd, I did also have a free MOT earlier this year as part of the deal.

It was interesting to find out that the tyre repair kit was out of date (October 2017) and as I only bought the Yeti last January/February this was already out of date then which made me question the reliability of the multi-point inspection at the time.

I'll now go back to the dealer and Skoda with the information you have provided.

Many thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

silver1011 I went back again to the main dealer showing them the advert.

They have stated that they have deals all the time and as this particular one is for this year, it wouldn't be valid when I purchased my Yeti (January/February 2019).

Having looked on the internet I have found similar ads for 2015 and 2016 giving 2 years warranty, servicing, MOT and roadside assistance. I have been unable to find anything for 2019 though!

I think the dealer are simply trying to fob me off as they stated that unless the sales person had put something in writing, they have nothing to go on.

Does anybody reading these forums have a copy of an advert/deal from Skoda for 2019 showing 2 year warranty, servicing, MOT and roadside assistance?

To me, it does seem strange that Skoda offered this before I purchased my Yeti and also after I purchased my Yeti yet the dealer claim to know nothing about any such deal.

There are various threads from 2019 with members buying Skoda approved used cars.

None of the links at the time i can see shows an offer of 2 years free servicing and MOt's.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/443226-skoda-approved-multi-point-check/page/2/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/475503-approved-used

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/472574-skoda-warranty

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/467742-would-these-issues-put-you-off-buying-a-second-hand-car

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459695-skoda-approved-used-and-manufacturers-warranties-questions

This screen grab is from this 2018 threads link.

Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 16.13.18.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

I'd check with Skoda customer services. The offers change quarterly, but quite often they roll from one quarter to the next.

It should be easy fro Skoda to tell you what PCP offers they had available in 2018.

It might actually be Skoda Finance you need to speak with, rather than Skoda UK customer services...

image.png.1dd37da0868464009e6e4fccd132cc35.png