Should I turn alarm off for mid-term parking?

Hey all,

I keep getting sent on short term tasks what with COVID-19 and there is a likelihood that my Octy will end up sitting for 2-3 weeks in between getting driven. It'll be left in a works car park (I'm in the RAF), so absolutely no worries of it being stolen etc. I'm more worried about coming back to find the battery flat - is it possible to lock the car without activating the alarm to minimise the draw on the battery? On my old BMW you could do this by using the key to lock the door rather than using the key fob, but there seems nowhere to physically lock the car on the octy?

Any help much appreciated, as always! 

Cars sit perfectly fine for 2-3 weeks when people go on holiday. So I’m not sure of the need in this case. 

Anyway. There is either a button on the drivers B pillar, an option in the infotainment or you can double press the lock button. 

19 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Cars sit perfectly fine for 2-3 weeks when people go on holiday. So I’m not sure of the need in this case. 

But that totally depends on the battery's 'state of charge' at the point of parking up. If battery charge is already low then it's unlikely it will be fine for 2 - 3 weeks.

@Barney_GT There has been lots of posts on here about batteries recently and I think some mention how to do what you want to do.

A solar top up charger is the way I would go though, if you can get one soon enough. Minimum 4 watt. I say this as I use one and so far for a long time, no battery issues, and I've had mine a good number of years now, and my Octy sometimes sits, with only short trips of about 1 mile. (yes I know)

I occasionally use a proper charger if expecting near freezing weather, to fully charge as most solar chargers will only replace standing charge battery usage, ie alarm.

Thanks guys!

I will have just completed a circa 180 mile journey back to camp so the bat should be fully charged. I am probably being paranoid about battery drain but as there is no requirement for the alarm with it being parked on camp it seemed sensible to turn it off anyway. I def have the button on the B pillar so will use that when locking it. 

Out of sheer curiosity, is there anyway to unlock the car if the keyfob goes dead? Seems strange there wouldn't be a keyhole somewhere for manually unlocking the vehicle. 😎

11 minutes ago, Barney_GT said:

Thanks guys!

I will have just completed a circa 180 mile journey back to camp so the bat should be fully charged. I am probably being paranoid about battery drain but as there is no requirement for the alarm with it being parked on camp it seemed sensible to turn it off anyway. I def have the button on the B pillar so will use that when locking it. 

Out of sheer curiosity, is there anyway to unlock the car if the keyfob goes dead? Seems strange there wouldn't be a keyhole somewhere for manually unlocking the vehicle. 😎

There is a hidden keyhole.

It's in the manual 🙂

Or you can watch this video (it's for a Golf - but the procedure is the same)

The issue then becomes opening the bonnet if it's the car battery, rather than the remote battery which is dead, as the RHD cars ideally need the (probably deadlocked) passenger door open to release the bonnet.  People on here have found that there's enough "give" in the plastic release lever to get it to work, but it's something I hope I never have to try...

Edited by iriches

^^^^ interesting, I thought that was just Fabia's???

I think the button on the pillar just deactivates the internal sensor, but should save a little battery power.

1 hour ago, Barney_GT said:

Thanks guys!

I am probably being paranoid about battery drain 

I would sooner be safe than sorry.................proactive, rather than reactive, IMO