Superb iV cable length

Hi there, I currently own a Kodiaq and have been looking into the new Superb iV estate, but I can't find any info on the length of the charging cable. I need a length of 12 metres.  I've tried live chat and emailed customer service without success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

7 hours ago, Markymate said:

Thanks Kenny. I'll have to see if I can get a longer one made up.

There are various websites selling EV extension cables, but perhaps it’s better just to buy a long cable for home, and keep the standard one in the car for when you are at supermarket or work etc

here is an example (not used them, so not a recommendation, just an example), looks like can choose colour, length, and appropriate plug

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/type-2-extension-all-colours.html

On 29/04/2020 at 21:37, SurreyJohn said:

There are various websites selling EV extension cables, but perhaps it’s better just to buy a long cable for home, and keep the standard one in the car for when you are at supermarket or work etc

here is an example (not used them, so not a recommendation, just an example), looks like can choose colour, length, and appropriate plug

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/type-2-extension-all-colours.html

Thanks John.  I've looked at extension but you need to have a home charge point with a tether connection. What I'm looking for is a 15 metre cable with a 3 pin plug on one end and the type 2 connector at the other. No luck so far

Hi,

have you already got a charge unit (car plug, control unit and wall plug) and you just want a longer cable. Or do you need the lot?

John

17 hours ago, jjc said:

Hi,

have you already got a charge unit (car plug, control unit and wall plug) and you just want a longer cable. Or do you need the lot?

John

I haven't got anything yet, looking into what's viable for a distance of 15 metres.  So far the only option is to have a tether system installed and buy a 10 metre extension.  

Hi,

this is the only one I can find at 15m, you are getting close the max cable distance due to signal issues over that.

https://amazon.co.uk/PRIMECOM-Electric-Portable-Mennekes-European/dp/B084H7CJN4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=ev%2Bcharger%2Bcable%2B15m&qid=1588425031&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=ev%2Bcable%2B15m&sr=8-1-fkmr0&th=1

Hope this might be OK 

John

2 hours ago, jjc said:

Hi,

this is the only one I can find at 15m, you are getting close the max cable distance due to signal issues over that.

https://amazon.co.uk/PRIMECOM-Electric-Portable-Mennekes-European/dp/B084H7CJN4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=ev%2Bcharger%2Bcable%2B15m&qid=1588425031&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=ev%2Bcable%2B15m&sr=8-1-fkmr0&th=1

Hope this might be OK 

John

Cheers John, I've looked into this and have contacted the company and awaiting a reply.  The reviews look good but all American, nothing from the UK, but not in any rush so will check it all out first.👍

On 01/05/2020 at 13:57, Markymate said:

Thanks John.  I've looked at extension but you need to have a home charge point with a tether connection. What I'm looking for is a 15 metre cable with a 3 pin plug on one end and the type 2 connector at the other. No luck so far

When you say 3 pin plug, do you mean standard 13amp plug with rectangular pins.  If so why can you not just buy a heavy duty extension lead and plug it into that (don’t use a lightweight one, or one partly on a reel as might overheat)

I’m not sure if you are saying you already have an external socket (presumably one of those weatherproof ones), but it is just long way from your drive (not at front of house), or layout of site means you park a couple of car lengths away from the house.

If this is a long term solution, I would seriously consider getting a dedicated socket installed, cabled back to its own circuit breaker in your main fuse board. Perhaps even changing your electricity tariff, or installing one of those storage units like a Tesla powerwall to utilise off peak cheaper electricity.    You may be able to install cable duct yourself with a professional connecting it up if routing is complicated to save money.

EDIT reminder there is a Government grant (EVHS) of £350 (or max 75%) to install EV charger at home.  Costs are typically £250-500 for 3Kw unit or £450-800 for 7Kw unit.   With grant might be better solution than expensive extension cable. Eligibility is already own, or are buying or signed a lease for an EV, and can be installed upto 4 months ahead of vehicle arriving.

Edited by SurreyJohn

On 03/05/2020 at 08:20, SurreyJohn said:

When you say 3 pin plug, do you mean standard 13amp plug with rectangular pins.  If so why can you not just buy a heavy duty extension lead and plug it into that (don’t use a lightweight one, or one partly on a reel as might overheat)

I’m not sure if you are saying you already have an external socket (presumably one of those weatherproof ones), but it is just long way from your drive (not at front of house), or layout of site means you park a couple of car lengths away from the house.

If this is a long term solution, I would seriously consider getting a dedicated socket installed, cabled back to its own circuit breaker in your main fuse board. Perhaps even changing your electricity tariff, or installing one of those storage units like a Tesla powerwall to utilise off peak cheaper electricity.    You may be able to install cable duct yourself with a professional connecting it up if routing is complicated to save money.

EDIT reminder there is a Government grant (EVHS) of £350 (or max 75%) to install EV charger at home.  Costs are typically £250-500 for 3Kw unit or £450-800 for 7Kw unit.   With grant might be better solution than expensive extension cable. Eligibility is already own, or are buying or signed a lease for an EV, and can be installed upto 4 months ahead of vehicle arriving.

You hit the nail right on the head John. I've got a ip66 socket at the front of the house, then 15 metres between socket and car. Was looking for a simple solution but 15 metres seems to far for the standard fittings.  If I do go ahead a swap the Kodiaq for the Superb iv the safest and easiest way is to get a Podpoint with a tether installed and add a EV extension.

Thanks for all your help.