New(ish) Rapid Speceback Owner

Back last October I posted about a 66 plate Rapid Speceback SE Tech 1.2 110PS I test drove but even though the price dropped more I didn't purchase.

While looking then I saw a glut of 68 plate Rapid Spaceback SE Tech 1.0 mostly 95PS available with mostly 11000 - 14000 miles covered initially priced around £11000. I did see one drop to £9900 then sell while towards Christmas gradually prices dropped as low as £9250. None were particularly local to me but one within 40 miles and another perhaps 60 miles but easier to get to by public transport were at £9500. Both were blue as I didn't really want grey not least as not so visible. Just before work closed for Christmas I contacted both dealers who send videos of their car and a provisional p-x price for mine. I also contacted the local dealer who offered a price for my car back in October. I went to view and test drive the nearer car then agreed to purchase. The local dealer increased his offer for my Fabia.

The car was registered to Skoda so either used by them or on a contract. The actual registration was January 2019 and the tax returned September 2019.

The milage on the one I bought was just under 11000, the other I enquired about was almost 12000.

While paying £145 RFL rather than the £30 of a 66 plate instead I have the factory warranty and breakdown cover.

I collected the Rapid after Christmas.

While given the choice I would probably have bought the 6-speed 115PS in reality I would rarely exploit it.

Normally by now I would have been out on a few longer runs but have only commuted to work plus essential local trips.

I am recording an average of around 48mpg. However by usage this seems optimistic by around 5%. Without the current situation from mid-March and so would have filled up another two or three times that would have been enough to average out differences and make a reasonable calculation. If so the mpg will be over 10% less than the 1.6CR Fabia but with petrol costing less financially the cost increase will be under 10%.

Overall I'm happy.

Perhaps because having come from a diesel I still haven't really worked out making a quick exit from a junction. Only slighly pressing the throttle gets the engine revs up over 3000 yet once releasing the clutch the engine revs very quickly drop so can need dip it to be sure not to stall.

Somehow I can not find an idea position for the seat. The rear of the squab really needs either to be lower or slightly further back. I have rolled up some material and pushed in between the squab and the backrest. This may become a bigger issue once places to go open up again so a longer driving time.

Like the Fabia I would have preferred smaller wheels and 55 profile tyres both for a softer ride and lower cost. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx are fitted but anything except ditch-finder budget seems close to £100 a corner. While all four would have to be fitted together and the potential issue if one damaged Vredestein Quatrac 5 are tempting when the time comes.

Edited by delta925

I am surprised you don't have height adjustable seats. On my Rapid (SEAT badged) both fronts do.

In my experience 215/40r17 Sport Maxx are pretty horrid, but at least they do last a lot of miles.

On a really positive note the 95 is my favourite VW 1.0 to drive by far. It has some torque and is way nicer than the 110 variant that I have.

The factory guarantee is well worth it though as both my 1.2 and 1.0 have had replacement turbos inside the 3 years.

They are good value on the whole though.

Camelspyyder,

Thanks for your comments.

The drivers seat is height adjustable, or at least as it seems hinged at the front as rear rises more.

I have just not found a comfortable balance. A well shaped thin back cushion might work. One I tried was too thick so left the front edge of the seat too far up my thighs. A thin base cushion might be better still. The issue with either is keeping in place.

When you say you found the 1.0 a better drive than 110 is/was that 1.2 ?

When I test drove the 1.2 110 I only had a couple of chances to judge the performance but it seemed rather gutless.  Even though the 1.6CR needs to be driven more like a petrol than an old school diesel I put it down to changing up too early. After I wondered if something was not right with it. Had I been seriously interested I would have wanted another drive.

I recall reading somewhere here that the 5 speed gearbox is both better to use and more reliable.

There is still plenty of tread on the Dunlop 215/45/16 tyres. By swapping front to rear in a few months without getting close to 1.6mm at least 25,000 miles looks easily achievable. They do seem noisy and not great grip in the wet. 215/40/17 must be an even harder ride plus greater risk of catching the rim on a kerb.

The best I can say about the Bridgestones the Fabia came on was they lasted well. I fitted Barum after as roughly 2/3 price of Continental. They gripped better but wore faster.

As you say the Rapid is good value although perhaps balanced by a relatively low resale value.  By the time I sell the mileage should be below average. Already at least 1000 miles less over the last 10 weeks plus no leisure trips. The obvious alternative was a Focus 1.0 which would have been at least £2k more but logically a higher return when sold. The Scala looks to be priced rather higher than the Rapid.

While the next two services need to be with the dealer so no arguments if a warranty claim after that it will go to the local VAG independent like the Fabia did. Having them was a factor in choosing Skoda over Ford.

Edited by delta925

I had a 1.2 105 that was lovely. I now have a 1.0 110 that is awful in comparison having no torque and is therefore either very slow or demanding way to many gearchanges. I have driven the 1.0 95 a fair few miles since and like it a lot more 🙂. Definitely much more usable on a daily drive.

Camelspyyder,

That is interesting. Given it is fundamentally the same engine logically the ECU programming while at some point giving 15% more power / torque overall has a narrower  band.

I've found the 1.0 95 fine other than as posted being totally confident about a quick exit into traffic. Locally there is no opportunity to exploit it. As things are by the time I go anywhere more demanding I'll have totally forgotten the diesel Fabia make any comparison.

I can't explain it but the 95 is a lovely drive on the undulating twisty B-roads in the Wolds, and the 110 often seems to be in the wrong gear on the same roads.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 2 months later...

i have a 110bhp although it's not now 17 reg ra[id spaceback i plan on keeping it tbh almost 300 miles is te longest trip 145 each way with a stop on the way back 1 for toilet break and the other tired so 20 minute kip,that cost me 15 quid,just had it mapped so its quicker but only st1 ..as it's a tech f n r sensors heated seats ,sat nav (but use waze)now cornering fogs and when dlr lights are on it's all round ,passed it's mot 3 days ago and i find it drives damn well  was going to part ex it for a yeti but basically if it aint broke keep it and run it into the ground this has adjustable seats also but as it sometimes gives neck ache iv bought a pillow thing to save my neck