VRS 245 Geometry help.

Hi all,

Recently collected a used 68 plate VRS 245 from a car supermarket and am having a few issues with wheel wobble and car pulling etc. 

I took it to my local tyre place and they stuck it on a hunter alignment machine and reset the geometry. It was quite a bit out in two corners and its helped massively.  However, driving the car back to back with our other car which is a 2016 16 plate VRS 220 estate the new one doesn't feel as planted on the road and feels quite fidgety still and not as confident inspiring going round bends.

On looking at the hunter print out I noticed he had set the car to have rough road suspension when it should have been sport suspension. I took it back and they adjusted just the toe in again to bring it inline but they never adjusted the rear camber.

Comparing it to the 16 plate it seems the rear camber is set differently on newer models however I just wanted to find out if that is true or not.

Does anyone have a printout of the suspension settings for their 17 onward 245. I believe the 245 has a wider rear axle so not sure if this is the reason?

Many thanks

Steve

The 245 rear track is 50mm wider than the 220/230 models and with the VAQ diff it can feel a bit nervous (once had a big tank slapper pushing on when I hit a bump on a roundabout). Have you checked the obvious things like tyre pressures and are any wheel weights missing. Finally it may have been in an accident and been repaired and traded into the car supermarket rather than back into the Skoda dealer network.😟

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

The 245 rear track is 50mm wider than the 220/230 models and with the VAQ diff it can feel a bit nervous (once had a big tank slapper pushing on when I hit a bump on a roundabout). Have you checked the obvious things like tyre pressures and are any wheel weights missing. Finally it may have been in an accident and been repaired and traded into the car supermarket rather than back into the Skoda dealer network.😟

I've checked around the car and cant see any signs of repairs however it did have three wheels refurbed before sale so I just think its had a hard life. He had no issues getting it lined up so to me that states there is no chassis damage.

I think my main concern is the rear camber. On the 68 plate its set to -1.18 whereas on my 16 plate is set at about -1.54 so quite a bit more. However I need to be able to confirm that what his hunter machine said was right. 

I was wondering whether the alloys had been repaired, either 18" with Bridgestone Turanza or 19" usually with Pirelli P Zero both of which are rubbish tyres and Michelin PS4 or PS4S work much better on this MQB platform IMO. 3 kerbed wheels suggest a careless parker or a lease car/rental perhaps hence the slight suspension knocks.

it is wearing 18"Geminis with two of the original Bridgestone potenzas which although are noisy I don't mind them as they are predictable.

The rear two tyres were a Uniroyal rainsport 5 and a "davanti" Chinese ditch finder. Both of these are far to soft and just felt like they were folding over.

Last night I went back to the tyre place and got them swapped for a pair of Pirelli P Zero Nero gt which has helped dramatically !

However as I said, to avoid incorrect tyre wear on the back I want t make sure that the car has the correct camber settings.

Edited by renton

22 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

No wonder the rear felt a bit loose with those 2 rear tyres. Not a fan of having different tyres on front/rear axles but budget is not normally a concern for me as safety is important on a performance model.

Yep me too.

We have dunlop sport maxx rt2 all round on our other vrs

• Like 1