Swap Dash Mount From GPS to Mobile Phone

Nicoli2390

Hi guys,

I have a 2016 Skoda Citigo & it has the GPS/Sat Nav dash mount. I recently purchased a replacement fitting so I could swap to the mobile phone mount but am having trouble replacing it. Does anyone have any advice? 

I have attached pictures of my progress.

cheers

nicoli2390

7A6859FC-C4BD-496D-B87F-5503555DA34D.jpeg

9D1EDE00-3C2C-481C-85A5-0DAAECCA8E51.jpeg

45E2C738-AA4C-48C4-B19B-9E0DF79A7E85.jpeg

0690EC6E-B4C9-40A9-B97B-2FEC188E4574.jpeg

You might consider reposting this in the main Citigo forum, this section is for guides and far more people will see it in the other section.

• 1 year later...

@Nicoli2390i don't think it will be straight replacement.

Yes, you will be able to utilise the adapter to support an OEM mobile phone holder.

Connecting an USB plug could be achieved by hard wiring it to the lighter socket (or any other live feed nearby), however this will only provide the voltage to the USB plug not media capability (at least with original head unit). It may be possible to achieve media transfer functionality with after market head unit. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong).

On the original connection, there seem to be a connector similar to an antenna/aerial plug (FAKRA type)

original wiring from pre-facelift PID holder wont fit - sadly.

However, it is possible to replace the old/existing wiring with standard VAG USB wiring. If You have an aftermarket Head Unit - there should be a connector at the back of the unit for external USB port.

Original VAG Citigo/Up/Mii new shape holder has the standard circular USB 4-pin plug with supposedly 2-extra wires which may provide extra power for the USB plug. Im guessing, that having two separate power wires, there is possibilty to utilise USB port for charging only by connecting/providing power to the USB port - NOT as a media port. Again, correct me if Im wrong.

See the attached photos below.

4-pin VAG plug, holder/top end HERE

Top blanking plate, top view with USB port in place HERE

Top blanking plate, side view, with USB port P/N visible and VAG USB plug/wires HERE

Edited by P3P5I
broken link

Don't try to power anything USB from 12V source - you will likely destroy everything you connect, as USB, for charging, is only 5V. But you can buy a very cheap 12v to 5V USB "buck" from Amazon etc, which will convert voltages for charging purposes - I have done this a few times, including to provide multiple USB charging on a 5th wheel, when no mains was available.

The idea of USB charging has nothing to do with USB data connectivity, as mentioned; normal USB cables however, have charging/power  and data signals.

USB data and control to/from a given device is dependent on whether a particular head unit supports it or not - and I don't quite know what the pre-facelift cars had! :)

14 hours ago, freemansteve said:

Don't try to power anything USB from 12V source - (...) for charging, is only 5V.

I think I didn't express myself clearly enough. By power I've meant power source in general. Any DIY'er must know the fact of the USB voltage requirement 🤪

pre-facelift models have a dedicated connector at back for PID's.

were facelift models and aftermarket units (as well as some OEM vag head units) have a dedicated USB connector - round, 4-pin plug.

spacer.png

As it is a 4-wire cable is capable of data transfer as well as charging.

So, it would be possible, to have a fully functional usb port - with right head unit.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I might be looking to do this (fit a phone holder and USB adapter) in the future to a pre-face lift Citigo. Does anyone know whether the standard 'Funky' radio will then simply work (either with the cable shown above, posted P3P51 - 21/11/21 (part number?), or with the adapter (5Q0 035 726 N, https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5q0035726n-usb-connector-39614.html) and blanking plate shown in the previous (20/11) post) with an Android phone with the Skoda App, or is some other interfacing required?

@jact I do have a bit of sad news for You. Skoda App will not work with Citigo Funky Radio. Secondly, If You decide to use facelift phone holder which will fit. It will be only usable as a 'Phone Holder' with built-in USB port for charging Your phone ONLY. Which was purely my intension to replace Skoda PID with its obsolete maps. You can source power supply and feed it to the USB port without any problems from the existing wiring.

Altough, my plan was to replace Funky radio with the newer platform, but that didnt work out as well as planned as they have different PIN layout on the quadlock connector and 'allegedly' newer radios are coded to the specific vehicle 😒

Thanks for the reply.

I'm now thinking I might replace my Octavia with a Fabia (rather than the Citigo) and I'll just use the phone for maps (Google), as I did before.

Dunno about Fabias, but post-facelift Citigos and Ups! work very well with mobile phones, and the Move & Fun app does work to give you the fuel data and water temp.  Having driven a few Fabias and Citigos recently, I can say that that unless you need the space, the Citigo is a much nicer car and will be cheaper to run in the next few years, and if you want a faster car, but which is even more economical, the Up! GTi is peerless.

• 6 months later...