Octavia vRS mk3 Rear Bumper Centre Reflector

Hi All,

Pre-lock down, I bought my 3rd Skoda, 2nd Octava vRS, 1st mk3. This time a hatchback.

All good with it, apart from the rear centre reflector on the bumper. It is bowing out and does not want to stay correctly in place (see Photo's). I have therefore have a few questions that I hope you clever and helpful people can answer:

1. Is this centre reflector held in with clips which are attached to the bump?

1a. if so, I need to get those clips but will need a part number.

2. or are the clips in fact on the reflector and it is time to get a new reflector as that will stop it bowing out?

2a. In which case I will need to get a new rear centre reflector.

I have attached photo's to show the situation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks in advance.

Happy Driver

DSC_0558(1).JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG

I've replaced one of these before myself. If it goes flat when pushed against the bumper there's one of two problems. The clips on the reflector have snapped, in which case no bother but you will need a new one, they arent expensive and removing the old one is halfway done for you already! You should be able to tell by looking at them, if needs be take the part off completely. The other option is that the retaining parts on the bumper piece are broken, in which case you may need to do some plastic welding or replace.

The question is why would either be broken. On my last vrs I nudged a bollard that bent my lower diffuser and smashed the reflector. When removing the diffuser I was able to reach underneath and pop out the reflectors. I did notice some damage to the plastic of the bumper despite it not showing anything from the outside. May be that removing the lower diffuser is in order to check for any unknown damage or signs of poor repair.

Best of luck

On 21/06/2020 at 21:48, DEZMONDE said:

Having my rear bumper off yesterday, it seems they should just clip into place. 

Many Thanks for that.

I will have a good look in the next few days, when time allows.

On 21/06/2020 at 22:28, ExSEAT said:

I've replaced one of these before myself. If it goes flat when pushed against the bumper there's one of two problems. The clips on the reflector have snapped, in which case no bother but you will need a new one, they arent expensive and removing the old one is halfway done for you already! You should be able to tell by looking at them, if needs be take the part off completely. The other option is that the retaining parts on the bumper piece are broken, in which case you may need to do some plastic welding or replace.

The question is why would either be broken. On my last vrs I nudged a bollard that bent my lower diffuser and smashed the reflector. When removing the diffuser I was able to reach underneath and pop out the reflectors. I did notice some damage to the plastic of the bumper despite it not showing anything from the outside. May be that removing the lower diffuser is in order to check for any unknown damage or signs of poor repair.

Best of luck

What a great comprehensive reply - Thank you.

I suspect that I will remove the 'old' reflector and take a good look at it, and then have a look at the bumper and where it is meant to clip into the bumper. I should always be able to pop it back on. If it still bows out, as you say, some plastic welding may be appropriate.

Indeed why? I suspect that someone may have nudged the rear bumper in a car park. There is the lightest of scratches (which should polish out) almost dead centre on the bumper indicating a bump, and that is why it could have popped out. Certainly a third party bump in this case!

When I get a spare moment, I will have a good look.

Thank you again for your reply - very much appreciated!