Haldex service

It hasn't been mentioned as being necessary in any of my routine services on my Scout (including one by a Skoda main dealer) but it seems that there is a requirement for an oil change / service after 3 years  - which makes mine rather overdue. Anyone familiar with what is involved and the likely consequences of leaving it undone? I'm presuming that most of the time the Haldex does nothing and only throws power to the rear axle if front wheel slip is detected. I haven't been aware of any deficiency, but with the mild winters we have been having there probably wouldn't have been many occasions when it would have been called into play.

2 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Needs done every 40k miles, what mileage has your car done?

As ever, Skoda have been Simply Too Clever, according to the PDF of suggested services they now publish on their fixed price servicing site, Haldex is 'suggested' on a 3yr/30k basis. 

If you thinking of service the haldex clutch in a dealer shop, Do tell them that they need to clean the mesh screen on the pump. 

What i have learned is that cleaning the screen on the pump is not in the work protocol for haldex 5 service.

My octavia had the 30,000 km haldex service in nov -19 with the ordinary service, BUT i needed to service the haldex myself in feb because they didn't  clean the screen. 

It does need doing .... Although my first Oct never had it done as I wasnt aware it needed doing ... i wont say what mileage I got rid of that at but never had an y issues..  My second Oct had it done at 75k when I got it.  It was full history but not convinced the Haldex was ever done as could find no proof although the digital service is a bit of a nightmare to sort out.

They remove the oil and then top back up until it spills out (i think).  But yes, there is a mesh that needs cleaning out as well.

Check out this thread on the Golf R Forum to see just how st!t the filter gets and why it is critical to get the filter cleaned, despite VAG officially saying there is NO FILTER in the Haldex 5.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/24283-and-the-filthiest-haldex-filter-award-goes-to/page/6/

Also see thread below - great picture of the problem which VAG say dose not exist

Edited by octavia5

So having looked into this a bit I think the consensus is that Skoda will just change the oil whereas a proper job involves removing the pump and cleaning the filter. If this is not done the risk is that the pump fails or uses too much current to push oil through the clogged filter and burns out the controller.   The end result is your 4x4 becomes FWD only.

I've had an oil change done on our Yeti by Skoda, but I'm minded to take it to and independent that will do it properly in a couple of years.