DSG 7 speed gearbox oil change

I've had my Octavia 2 for 7 years (first diesel and first automatic.) it has been pretty faultless, except for one day last December it decided to stop and refuse to start, at a traffic light. After recovery home before waiting for recovery to a garage the next morning, I tested it and it fired up, and has been fine ever since.

However, after a conversation yesterday with a friend, he told me that his father once told him that automatic gearboxes are fine as long as the oil is changed regularly. As far as I know my gearbox oil has never been changed, 73000 miles and he also told me that garages do not like changing automatic gearbox oil, (often refuse to touch them).

My question is, how easy is it to change my gearbox oil please? I'm not averse to doing the job myself, done it enough times on manual gearboxes.

The gearbox isn't a conventional automatic. It's actually an automated manual and uses conventional gear oil.

Having said that, there was a batch of 7 speed DSGs that were filled with incorrect oil.

They have a separate oil system for the mechatronics and the gearbox. The mechatronics should have mineral oil in but they filled them originally with synthetic which caused a short circuit in the electrics.

It's first worth checking with a Skoda garage if your car is included in this as the work should be carried out free of charge.

We are talking a DQ200 DSG.

If new in 2013 and built late 2012 or early 2013 then Service Campaign '34F7' should not be required, 

but '34H5' might have been, and could still be.

There were not DQ200 DSG's filled with the "wrong oil".   It was discovered to be causing corrosion.

There was the Oil that VW used from 2009-2011/12 that was found to be problematic requiring a World Wide recall & in Europe a Service Campaign 

and the Oil was changed from Synthetic to Mineral.

Many will still have Mineral oil in if never been into have it replaced.

Not all required that or got it, but that concerns 2009-2012 vehicles maybe. '34F7'.

Then from 2017 there is a Service Campaign to do a Software Update.  That is '34H5'

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

You can change the oil or have it changed if you want, 

but if '34H5' has not been carried out then that can be an issue.

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 14.19.50.png

Edited by Roottoot

Thanks everyone for your interest and replies. Since I put the post on I have found out through a search on one of the posts that my car is on a recall list, but doesn't say which one/s. I know it is on the recall for the cat. converter to be modified, part of the world wide emissions scandal and I don't want that doing. It runs fine thankyou!! But it just says to take it to a dealer and I'm afraid they might do the mod. anyway.

My gearbox code is: NTT LF8L-2G2G CS. Does anyone know if this is in the gearbox oil recall?

Thanks

Easy enough to not have 'The Emissions Fix done.'

You put in writing on the paper the Service Desk Person hands you to sign when the car goes to a Dealership and you hand over the keys that if they illegally do work like the fix without your permission then they have bought the car at top book price.

Check with Skoda UK or a Dealership if '34H5' is outstanding.

Edited by Roottoot

28 minutes ago, Roottoot said:

Easy enough to not have 'The Emissions Fix done.'

You put in writing on the paper the Service Desk Person hands you to sign when the car goes to a Dealership and you hand over the keys that if they illegally do work like the fix without your permission then they have bought the car at top book price.

Check with Skoda UK or a Dealership if '34H5' is outstanding.

Oh great!! Thanks for that Roottoot, at least I will have a bit of leverage to deal with them when it goes there. I just don't want the emissions 'sorting'!! I've heard too many bad stories about it.

Just been trying to see if my car is eligible for the update. It was registered in Sept 2012 and I bought it Aug 2013. On an old service invoice they had the car down as a 2013 car, so maybe it didn't have the problematic synthetic oil in the gearbox (which isn't a gearbox), but the service department from DM Keith are calling me back on Monday  to see if I'm in the clear.

If I'm in the clear, how easy is it to change the oil in the gearbox? Thanks.

Your DSG should be built summer 2012 &  have already had the Oil and Software that VW Group went to because the World Wide Recall had happened before then and they knew the issue.

But there are boxes between then and 2013 that never needed 34F7 or '34H5' that started in 2017 on ones from 2013-2015 which is a software update.

So yours might be an Inbetweeny.   Got and needs neither according to SKODA / SKODA UK / VW.. 

But then can get the Flashing white Spanner issue.  Skoda like to pretend they know nothing about these DQ200's and say there are no issues.

They lie and there are enough examples of 'Inbetweenies' to show they are untrustworthy and dishonest.

Nothing you can do.

Thread is pinned at the top of the Fabia Mk2 Section. 

Here is a taste of it.

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 17.21.14.png

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 17.21.31.png

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 17.21.48.png

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 17.22.04.png

Edited by Roottoot

Thanks again for that Roottoot. I'll see what happens on Monday and take it from there. What is the 'flashing spanner' that they claim to know nothing about?

The Flashing white spanned is when a Fault occurs.  

But before that there was another 'warning',    White spanner flashing seems to be rather common with 'inbetweenies'  and Skoda / VW do not care.

Saying that '34F7' was not required or '34H5',  so owners can just bog off and get their car fixed out of your own pocket as they were not the ones with Design, Manufacturing, material or consumable issues.

Some leak as the ones from 2013 that caused them to carry out '34H5' as a preventative measure, but they are in denial.  Barstewards.

Edited by Roottoot

Yeah I've also heard of a problem where the mechatronics leaks into the gearbox. And obviously this wasn't one of the recognised problems and so not covered under the "recall".

Also heard of the gear actuators sticking but this doesn't seem very common either.

• Confused 1

@Phil-E

Sorry but someplace you are not getting very accurate info, maybe on here or someplace else on social media, or maybe duff gen from Skoda Dealerships.

The oil leaking out is exactly why '34H5' came about.   Cracked housings, leaking MCU's etc.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/432730-oil-leak

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/422718-rapid-recall-dsg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425424-2017-another-dq200-7-speed-dsg-service-campaign

There was no 'Recall'. 

Recalls require VW Group / Skoda to contact Registered Keepers and flag a 'Recall'. 

There was a Service Campaign which they call a 'Recall Action'. 

If the car was not into a Dealership you were not told.  The VIN Checker never showed '34H5' until 

last year after the 'Australian RECALL' started. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/473213-another-dsg-recall-today-sorry-if-already-posted

An important thread for those with issues / failures.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/475102-dq200-dsg-mechatronic-tear-down-repair-changes-in-body

Beware of what the professionals at dealerships say, or those on Service Desks that are professional receptionists or learning on the job and getting told the same old crap by those passing down info.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/483018-gearbox-issue

Just been reading through the links posted by Roottoot and 'stickers' are being mentioned. Where and what are these stickers situated please? Never heard of them before.

They are put in the boot. So lift up the carpet and to the back left of the spare wheel there is a sticker with a load codes on (all the car option codes and details etc).

If work has been carried out under a recall or service campaign they put another sticker next to that with the codes of the work carried out.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil-E, there are no such stickers so nothing has been done and I've had this car since it was 11 moths old. I'm supposed to be getting a call from the dealer in the morning to sort this out. I'll keep you informed of the outcome.

Forgot to post this on Sunday (2 days ago)

Edited by carbman
Forgot to submit the post.
  • Like 1

DM Keith didn't get back to me on Monday, so I phoned them this morning. The girl on the service department asked for the registration and after checking she told me that there are no recalls outstanding on my car. The question is....do I believe her? After all she's working for Skoda!!!!

• Thanks 1

@carbman

That sounds right by 'Skoda UK / VW UK's'  'Recall Action' (Service Campaign) on cars like yours with a DQ200 built summer time 2012 and the car first registered Autumn 2012.

There was no recalls as in 'Contacting Registered Keepers with details given by the DVLA.   & 'Recall action 34F7 & 34H5 were for earlier DQ200s with the first one and later for the 2nd.

If nothing on the VIN Checker, & nothing on the DVSA / DVLA / DfT site then that is that quite often.

But then the Skoda VIN checker is not always right and '34H5' never appeared til last year but started in 2017 for DQ200's that were part of it.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Thanks Roottoot for that. But I know they are lying because the VIN Checker is saying there is a recall out and I know it is for the CAT to be 'sorted' and I'm not having it done, because my car is running fine and it probably won't be when it comes back from having it done.

The only thing I am confused about for now is ...what is DQ200? 

Thanks for all the information. Think I'll go out and buy myself a Morris Minor. We were poor but happy in those far off days!!!

I need somebody to put me right.   I am looking to buy a 2008 automatic Octavia Mk II and I asked an amateur car guy friend about changing the gearbox oil.  He said 'never, sealed unit, not polluted by engine wear'.   Well that doesn't sound right to me so any views most welcome.    Mileage 67000.

3 minutes ago, Halifaxbob said:

I need somebody to put me right.   I am looking to buy a 2008 automatic Octavia Mk II and I asked an amateur car guy friend about changing the gearbox oil.  He said 'never, sealed unit, not polluted by engine wear'.   Well that doesn't sound right to me so any views most welcome.    Mileage 67000.

Which engine and gearbox is it?

• 7 months later...

I decided to do an gearbox oil and mechatronic oil change on my 7 speed DSG.

It's at 117,000km. Wasn't included in the "recall" so was already factory filled with mineral oil.

It was an easy job. The only problem being I couldn't get the mechatronics breather to budge so ended up breaking it. Ordered a new one and it's arrived already.

As you can see the oil is pretty black. The. We oil was a light golden brown.

And the hydraulic a very dark green and almost black. The new stuff is bright green and partially see through.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1