Rear Quarter Glass Replacement

Went out today (Halnaker Trail if you were interested) was putting the boys back in the car when a BMW (obviously) shot past at a ridiculous speed and launched a stone, which smashed my read quarter window. In most ways I'm grateful as my sons head was about 30cm to the right of the impact, but I do still have a smashed window.

Haven't had the chance to talk to insurance (Admiral) yet, but I was going to look into options, as I don't really want to risk no claims bonus etc. Although being non-fault and glass, it could be an under the radar job.

Other options are:

Do it privately, but I can't find any prices hinted at, anyone got a clue as to what it would cost?

Do it myself, seem to be able to get the glass for about £60 on Ebay, but the tutorials I've seen look pretty daunting with heat guns and cutting. Plus the ones on Ebay look more hacked off than carefully removed.

Anyone got any experience, with a similar situation?

@j1mg Funny you should mention this, I was going to post a thread in the “General Motoring Chat” after I found the rear quarter window on my wife’s Renault shattered when cleaning last week (no idea how it ended up like it).

Looked on eBay and found a replacement for a similar price to what you quoted however, due to work commitments, I wasn’t going to be about to replace it so my wife looked in to getting quotes for a replacement.

A well known car window company quoted her £407 and wanted the money up front! They said she could then claim it back through her insurance company.

In the end she just claimed through her insurance company at a cost of £85 excess (doesn’t affect no claims). It was replaced within 2 days (it would have been quicker had they had it in stock).

So my advise, go through your insurance. By the time you’ve got the parts and tools together you may as well pay the excess and get the experts to replace it with a guarantee on the workmanship.

Just make sure they do a decent job cleaning up after, my wife wasn’t very happy to be cleaning glass up off the drive for the next week!

Edited by CookieMonster87
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

In the end she just claimed through her insurance company at a cost of £85 excess (doesn’t affect no claims).

Most insurance companies won't make a glass claim affect the no claims, however it will still be mentioned as a claim that will appear if you change insurers when you renew.

• Like 1