New turbo

Well, today saw the return of my 2017 280 L&K with 20k that went into the dealership last wednesday with the EPC light on.

It had appreared briefly one morning the week before but came on again on the tuesday before it went in.

As a non technical-minded owner, I'll try and describe what they told me:

The initially had the fault code showing turbo underboost but told me that it didn't reveal what was the issue.

They contacted SUK and eventually came back to tell me that it appeared to be the the turbo actuator that was showing fault but that the electrics on it were ok.

Apparently on the 4wd models it's a bugger to get to the unit itself.

Three days passed and I got a call to say that it needed a new turbo.

Speaking to the mechanic at collection today he told me that the turbo itself was okay but it was in fact the actuator arm that had seized.

In the 2.0 that means the whole lot needs replacing unlike the 1.0 for example in VAG cars.

I believe the turbo itself was around £1500 according the receptionist when I asked.

They did say it was unusual to see a 2.0 in with this issue (the first 280 they've changed over a turbo).

Loads of 1.0 and 1.4 with actuator failures according to them.  My good lady's 1.4 Leon had that very issue 2 months ago.

So...if your car isn't getting used, maybe give it a good run.

They are right that it is very unusual to have the actuator fail on these turbos, it's the core/shaft that usually goes on the IS38's that fail, some luck you got there.

I assume it's out of warranty? If it is then it's the perfect excuse to go for a bigger and stronger turbo :happy:  some companies also provide a discount when you send yours in. 

You don't have to go with a full out 500bhp setup, you could still keep everything else stock and just upgrade your turbo to one that will have similar characteristics as the stock IS38 but with reinforced internals. Coupled with a remap (of-course) should provide some very nice gains (close to 400bhp) on what would be essentially a stock car still.

It doesn't sound as you are after more performance in particular but if you are to pay full price for the replacement I see no reason putting an OEM IS38 turbo back in which always has a small (but real) percentage of failing at any point.

• Thanks 1