2.5TDi V6 Before I scrap the old girl ...

Before I dispatch my Mk1 Superb to scrap, Wondered if anyone could confirm it's likely to be suffering from VP44  injection pump failure.

Symptoms. Couple of hours motorway driving , smooth as can be.  Off the motorway on 3 mile journey home, seems to be running very roughly with emissions warning light on dash. Got home, stopped engine, unloaded car, Returned to restart. Cranks but no sign of starting 

I was then out of the country for several months. Still no start on my return. I have VCDS Lite. Just one fault code 17583 Pre-Ignition  turned off. Have checked suggested action on that site as best I can, but what am I supposed to see looking as they suggest at measuring block 18? It shows Supply voltage  at injector pump  and from ECM. Both around 12 volts. A Pump Info (see label file) value of 00000000, and Engine Speed sensor has been sometimes 0101, sometimes 0000.  

Cranking Engine and looking at other measuring blocks shows G28 sensor speed of 139

Other suggested actions for this fault

There is half a tank of fuel , pretty sure no water

The  transparent section of fuel pipe from filter to VP44  had air. I removed pipe from filter. Over-rode tank fuel pump to  obtain a jugful of fuel, poured this  into the pipe and reconnected to filter.   Ran pump for half a minute or so .  Transparent section of pipe continued to show full of fuel.  Still not the faintest sign of starting.  Does the VP44 pump need positive inlet pressure to function, or does it draw fuel into itself? In any case I over-rode tank fuel pump while cranking  and still no-start.

Having read about possible pump timing I looked at some measuring blocks . wondered if Measuring block 4 readings might be meaningful 

Specified start (10-15) is reading 5.0

Actual (8-16) is reading 0

The car has been good to me in 11 years of ownership. Am in process of buying another, a Superb, but would rather be sure I'm not missing anything trivial before waving goodbye to it on the back of a trailer to the scrap yard.

I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanic, but fairly adept DIY'er.  Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks for reading 

Ian

• 2 months later...
On 08/08/2020 at 15:33, Paradox said:

Before I dispatch my Mk1 Superb to scrap, Wondered if anyone could confirm it's likely to be suffering from VP44  injection pump failure.

Symptoms. Couple of hours motorway driving , smooth as can be.  Off the motorway on 3 mile journey home, seems to be running very roughly with emissions warning light on dash. Got home, stopped engine, unloaded car, Returned to restart. Cranks but no sign of starting 

I was then out of the country for several months. Still no start on my return. I have VCDS Lite. Just one fault code 17583 Pre-Ignition  turned off. Have checked suggested action on that site as best I can, but what am I supposed to see looking as they suggest at measuring block 18? It shows Supply voltage  at injector pump  and from ECM. Both around 12 volts. A Pump Info (see label file) value of 00000000, and Engine Speed sensor has been sometimes 0101, sometimes 0000.  

Cranking Engine and looking at other measuring blocks shows G28 sensor speed of 139

Other suggested actions for this fault

There is half a tank of fuel , pretty sure no water

The  transparent section of fuel pipe from filter to VP44  had air. I removed pipe from filter. Over-rode tank fuel pump to  obtain a jugful of fuel, poured this  into the pipe and reconnected to filter.   Ran pump for half a minute or so .  Transparent section of pipe continued to show full of fuel.  Still not the faintest sign of starting.  Does the VP44 pump need positive inlet pressure to function, or does it draw fuel into itself? In any case I over-rode tank fuel pump while cranking  and still no-start.

Having read about possible pump timing I looked at some measuring blocks . wondered if Measuring block 4 readings might be meaningful 

Specified start (10-15) is reading 5.0

Actual (8-16) is reading 0

The car has been good to me in 11 years of ownership. Am in process of buying another, a Superb, but would rather be sure I'm not missing anything trivial before waving goodbye to it on the back of a trailer to the scrap yard.

I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanic, but fairly adept DIY'er.  Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks for reading 

Ian

I've just bought an immaculate MK1 Superb with only 44k miles, full service history, but don't think it's for me. I looking to sell.