Spare Wheel or Repair Kit

5 hours ago, Motion said:

There is plenty of space for a a standard wheel in my2016 estate. I can put in 225x45xr17 without effecting the floor.

7 minutes ago, BorderCollie said:

Mine are 225x50xr17  Maybe because it's a 2017 Scout

Both are 225 width, and width is what will affect how the boot floor sits ;)

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Both are 225 width, and width is what will affect how the boot floor sits ;)

I'll just have to live with it. It's very tight, but if it was part worn instead of brand new it would fit better, It's also resting on the bottom yet still too high. The foam insert for the self repair kit was a perfect fit. That's life I guess. The well must be designed to only fit a space saver.

Edited by BorderCollie

14 hours ago, BorderCollie said:

The problem is, the well / cavity in the boot is designed for a space saver wheel and it's a very very tight fit for the full size wheel. It also means that there's now a slight hump in the boot floor, but it's not noticeable below the carpet I put in.

It's designed for a full size 16" wheel. Wider wheels will squeeze in, but raise the carpet slightly, as you say.

13 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

If you get one from scrapper (or ebay etc), might need to change tyre (check 4 digit date code, dont really want the tyre more than 8-10 years old, last 2 digits are year), old tyres will crack and deteriorate, but should be obvious visually

I've wondered about this. There's a 17 year old unused space saver in the back of my Focus and a 5 year old full size tyre in my Octavia that's done all of 5 miles. So I've got 80 odd quid's of full size rubber ageing away. I'd considered swapping it for one of the used tyres when I buy new, but I want to switch from Energy Savers to CrossClimates. And all 5 of the 5 year old tyres passed the MOT.