Superb 2 16in Spectrum Alloy repair?

Oli

Has anyone repaired scuffs to their alloys themselves with any decent results?

I am looking to repair the kerb rash to all four of the Spectrum alloys fitted to our Superb (done by previous owner). My plan is to sand the scratches down, and then paint and lacquer them but I am curious about paint codes etc or if I should just take it to a professional to get them done and save myself the agro!

• 2 months later...

I've done it before and got a very good result from just 1k rattle cans - Ford Moondust silver if I remember was a great match for OEM wheel silver.

Honestly though, I wouldn't bother again unless I had no money and lots of time..

It took about two days to prep the wheels (mega important for a good job that will last more than a winter), then about the same to wait for the paint, lacquer coats to dry etc.

It also cost me about £80 in materials, decent Upol lacquer, sandpaper in various grits etc.. so you just have to decide if you'd be better off spending £60 a wheel to get them professionally acid bathed and powder coated (including removing/refitting tyres) Especially as it's going to be a better job than you'd ever do yourself!

Very true! I will get a couple of quotes locally and see what they offer. Down to one car now so don't want to be without her long although suppose they  might loan me some steels rims.