Superb modernisation!

HI,

I am having difficulty letting go of my 2014 Superb L&K. However, I would like a car with additional safety gizmos. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the Superb with a reversing camera  and lane assist plus another useful additions?

for the lane assist , forward collision warning and departure warning, speed trap warning, some high end dashcam offer this.

I did upgrade mine with a Thinkware U1000 dual channel, together with the parking radar sensor before the Summer

and I am very happy with the results. Not only is the car upgraded with the most of the  ADAS functionalities (no autonomous braking which is not a loss)

but there is the added peace of mind that in the case of problems there is video evidence.

It is pricey, but less than a car and brings actual added value.

I guess that next generations dashcam will offer road sign recognition. 

I did drive a car with such a  factory built  system (a BMW 1 Series), it was a nightmare because the system just reads the speed limit but does not

take into account the specified times (from 22:00 to 6;00 for example). Thus so far, not that useful.

The car has also been upgraded with a portable WiFi hotspot as well as with a homemade GPS tracker

Easy, just follow the tutorial: 

. Both Work great.

There exists some blind spot solutions like the Rydeen one 

https://rydeenmobile.com/adas-safety-systems/radar-blind-spot-detection-systems/

So as long as your car works you can keep it on the road and slowly upgrade it.

Edited by LBLJ

29 minutes ago, Raptor said:

Wow, very impressive. Sounds like you need to be a skilful auto mechanic to fit such an upgrade.

It's not hard, it is just time consuming.

There are videos explaining how to route the dashcam cables . 

As for the hotspot it is just plug and play:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/mobilerouters/MR1100.aspx

Another useful upgrade has been the dynamic turn signal indicators as well as led puddle lights.

Dynamic turn signal upgrade took more than a year from the initial idea because the parts were not there yet.

It really makes a huge difference in safety. Unfortunately the rear turn indicators shape do not allow this retrofit on them.

A possible workaround would be two orange led strips at the tailgate window . Maybe will work on it at a later stage.

In a worst case scenario, you can always pay a garage to install the upgrades which you do not feel comfortable to perform yourself .

It is not that expensive

Hope this helps

Lane assist never works properly.  The correct action for a safety system which detects that the driver is not capable of keeping a vehicle in a lane should be to leave the road, park up and take steps to have their licence revoked but all they do is shake the wheel or some such nonsense.

Reversing camera a safety aid, really?

Some valid points if not at least somewhat unkind and thoughtless.

I have been driving for 48 years. The worst that has happened is one parking fine and one speeding ticket for a motorway event. 

My current experience of divers is they frequently move from lane to lane without notice or indicating, whilst being so close as to not be able to stop without rear ending should an emergency braking be necessary.

Undertaking now appears to be a common rule of the the road, minor driving errors are now seen as a green light for abuse and fist waving.

Where has the old fashioned courtesy gone? 

I live near a very busy junction and the number of accidents are becoming legend, red traffic lights are seen as a signal to go not stop, broken white lines at a junction are seen as an option to ignore them and has resulted in a  couple of very bad accidents. I  could go on but what is the point. 

If modern day drivers used the road properly, us elderly drivers would not be distracted by such  dangerous behaviour. I am not alone with my comments.

I have park assist on my car, used it once to amuse by grandson he was fascinated by it, never used it since as I am a very capable driver;  when i feel I am not,  i will voluntarily hand in my license.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 30/08/2020 at 21:45, LBLJ said:

for the lane assist , forward collision warning and departure warning, speed trap warning, some high end dashcam offer this.

I did upgrade mine with a Thinkware U1000 dual channel, together with the parking radar sensor before the Summer

and I am very happy with the results. Not only is the car upgraded with the most of the  ADAS functionalities (no autonomous braking which is not a loss)

but there is the added peace of mind that in the case of problems there is video evidence.

It is pricey, but less than a car and brings actual added value.

I guess that next generations dashcam will offer road sign recognition. 

I did drive a car with such a  factory built  system (a BMW 1 Series), it was a nightmare because the system just reads the speed limit but does not

take into account the specified times (from 22:00 to 6;00 for example). Thus so far, not that useful.

The car has also been upgraded with a portable WiFi hotspot as well as with a homemade GPS tracker

Easy, just follow the tutorial: 

. Both Work great.

There exists some blind spot solutions like the Rydeen one 

https://rydeenmobile.com/adas-safety-systems/radar-blind-spot-detection-systems/

So as long as your car works you can keep it on the road and slowly upgrade it.

I know this is an old post, but wondered if you could post a picture or two of the U1000 from inside and outside the car?

Sure, no problem.

Those 3 pictures should give you an idea on how it looks like.

The rear camera is not visible from the outside of the car but well visible in the rearview mirror.

All the wiring runs under the roof liner and the pilar mounts. 

Skoda charged me 250EUR for the installation. IMHO Money definitely well spent. 

A+

Lionel

IMG_20220129_150244.jpg

IMG_20220129_150316.jpg

IMG_20220129_150418.jpg

• Like 1