Buying a Superb £15000 to £20000 advice required

mtbr

Hi I am about to buy a new car and have it down to a Superb or Octavia (leaning towards the Superb) however I am looking for a manual 2.0 diesel se tech or better but good cars seem to be hard to come by in central Scotland (sold pretty quickly). I presently have a 1.6 diesel citroen C5 which has been good but now getting a bit long in the tooth. Anyway the question I have is would there be any reason not to consider the 1,6 diesel version of this (speaking to a colleage who has done 270000 miles in a 2010 golf with the 1.6  with only 2 timing belts and clutches) I can live with the power as it is pretty much the same as my current car so okay on that but was also wondering if the smaller engine would be less prone to dpf issues as it will be working a bit harder (son had an A6 2.0 diesel that the egr cooler needed steam cleaned out at 50000 miles so wondering if the 1.6 may actually be better for me) (most journeys are 5 miles semi rural with a good 50 mile run once or twice a month) anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts. Cheers

I run a 2016 1.6 crd 118 bhp se business remapped to 150 bhp love every minute of driving  it I do notice the torque is a lot less than my old 1.9 TDI but I just use the gear box slightly more With the lock down I havnt been driving as far and I think the 1.6 is perfect for the shorter journeys yet still great mpg especially on a longer run would certainly recommend it to anyone and at least I don't have to mess about with add blue either

• 4 weeks later...

Does your C5 have a dpf? 5miles daily is a bit short and I'd be wary of clogging up the dpf. 

Maybe a petrol version can be considered since mileage wise, you don't seem to do a lot so running costs difference won't be significant.

Hi

Appreciate that you have a local supply issue, which I can't resolve, however most dealers will sell you a car remote you just need to be sure what you're buying.

If you can consider a diesel superb sportline 190bhp DSG auto I just sold this car (white) to a skoda dealer in Oxford for £19k, and he's got it on sale for £22k.

Reg Jan 2019 - done about 13,000 miles ( I was the 2nd owner) - great car - only changed it to go for the brand new IV.

I was getting about 40mpg around town and about 55mpg on a longer run.

2nd best car I've ever had.  Far better overall package than an Octavia (I had 7 Octavias before going to Superb).