speed limit

ahancox

I think you are confusing the Speed Limiter with Cruise Control. 

I'm guessing you do not have a Cruise Control, so there are no switches. The Speed Limiter sets the maximum speed that you can drive. This is adjusted in the car software setting in the main display. 

My understanding is there are two different systems:

1. Speed limiter. This phyiscally stops you driving above a certain speed, unless you override it by pressing the pedal past the detent. However this does have controls on the left hand stalk, the same as cruise control.  Even on cruise control models you can switch between cruise or speed limiter. Cruise is different, in that it holds a speed without you pressing the throttle pedal. On some cars there is ACC where a radar also keeps your distance, but this isn't Standard on any Mk3 (AFAIK) and I don't think was even an option.

2. Speed warning. Set in the instrument pack as far as I know along with other trip computer options. Doesn't stop you going to fast but beeps at you if you exceed the set limit. 

OK. So its speed warning. Either set from the central display, or by a menu in the instrument pack. Sorry can't remember which. Rather than switching off, you set the speed to something very high (I seem to remember). Have a look through the menus for speed warning. There's also one for winter tyres, as mentioned. You can turn that one off.