vRS 230 issues (steering creak and 1-2 shift concensus)

Hi All,

I've got a few issue with my recently purchased Octavia vRS 230 pre-facelift...

I've already solved a couple of problems with the help of briskoda's residents - so thanks muchly! So far, I've managed to get the dealer to fix the vibrating fuel lines, which they swore weren't a TPI on the Octavia, only on the Superb... turned out I was right and the helpful direction here (and on YouTube) showed me where to look. I also managed to polish out the scratches on the piano black trim with Megs UC and PlastX (Plast-RX in the UK)... worked a tread, but note that it's a bit easy to go to far and create a bit of a difference in sheen, either 'burning' the plastic or going too far through a lacquer if there is one. Looks much better than scratches though!!

The remaining things are the 1st to 2nd change and the creaking steering.

(1) Low speed (parking) steering creak both directs: I'm having the TPI 2042935/3 investigated by the dealer next month - but if there's anything else to be aware of... I got the replies of 'it's normal', 'it will go away with time' or 'we can't hear it'... until I got someone to actually admit it's there and could be fixed.

(2) 1st-2nd shifting feels gross - more than notchy. I had a MK7 Golf before this, and it had a notchy change and a stiff 1-2, but no where near this. Been trying to find if this is the same 'box, but I can't seem to find out exactly. 

- I have already changed the gearbox oil (~37k miles, so to me just good maintenance anyway), with no change

- It has a feeling of resistance into 2nd that if you just push past it scrapes against something (sound and feeling), but doesn't sound like crunching gears.

- It feels like a very slow gear (I know that's not how it works, just how it feels to me) pushing back at you. If you rest it on the gate it almost pushes it out and pulls it into gear with very little pressure.

- It happens when cold and takes a while to get better, but does smooth out almost completely if you drive hard (after engine up to temp obvs :) ) ...

- ...it will come back in stop start traffic on the motorway, thought being it's cooling down standing still

- I had the local dealer test it (not the selling dealer) and a technician with a 230 said yes it feels like there is more resistance, but didn't feel it was gearbox related. He said that it needed a linkage adjustment - which would have been my next port of call anyway... but as it goes away when warm, is this likely to make it better??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

9 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

My cars steering creaks, can't be bothered with trying to find out where it's coming from. 

They reckon it's the lower suspension arms, there's a rubber/metal bushing/bearing that's badly designed, with kidney shaped cutouts. The rubber on each side of the cutout rubs together and creaks. So they put grease in there - at the cost of 1-2 hours of labour and a wheel alignment. Seems over the top if it will come back once the grease goes, would love to know if anyone's had it done? If I can get the selling dealer to do it for free, then why not - rather not pay a couple of hundred just to get rid of a creak that's not doing any major harm.

There are multiple thread on this issue. Temporal resolution is spray some grease, deeply inside the bushing from the both sides - it is approachable from below the arm with long nozzle. It doesn't last long, but it is cost effective, as you do it in 5 minutes.

I use Motip Teflon spray, maybe you have another brand in your country. When you try it on the flat surface, it leaves greasy like residue, quite a lot of it, so if it's able to penetrate inside the bushing, it will silence it for some time.

If you are selling don't bother, especially if it's in the near future.

I don't care about it or the car too much so, when it goes in about a year, they can do it out of their own pocket. 

Edited by TheWanderer

8 minutes ago, nidza said:

There are multiple thread on this issue. Temporal resolution is spray some grease, deeply inside the bushing from the both sides - it is approachable from below the arm with long nozzle. It doesn't last long, but it is cost effective, as you do it in 5 minutes.

I use Motip Teflon spray, maybe you have another brand in your country. When you try it on the flat surface, it leaves greasy like residue, quite a lot of it, so if it's able to penetrate inside the bushing, it will silence it for some time.

Might give this a go with some silicone spray and then try the Teflon spray if it doesn't work. I take it the Teflon spray is safe on rubber?

Silicone won't help, and for the Teflon I don't know whether it is safe. I don't care, if it falls apart, I will be happy to put aftermarket which don't cause any trouble. So far all is right.

4 hours ago, nidza said:

Silicone won't help, and for the Teflon I don't know whether it is safe. I don't care, if it falls apart, I will be happy to put aftermarket which don't cause any trouble. So far all is right.

Had good experiences with silicone lubricant before (use WD-40 branded one) - usually silences most bushing noises (and belts), just doesn't last much more than a month or so. The other option is go for (and have in the cupboard) is lithium grease. Might have a go at the weekend.

• Like 1