Aftermarket automatic headlights

Automatic headlights are usually a non-feature to me. On all my previous cars i would just leave the main beam on. They would turn on/off with the ignition and double as DRLs. With the Octavia the game changed. There are factory fitted DRLs now and that "feature" that dims the dashboard when the ambient light goes low. Aliexpress to the rescue in a form of replacement light switch with a built-in light sensor and an "auto" position. It also provides follow-me lights feature and some of the features are configurable through a rudimentary interface of the switch knob. Aliexpress has a bunch of different light switches of this type, with different knob shapes, colours and connectors for various VAG vehicles. Some differ in the position of the light sensor (on the face, on the knob or on a wire for an under the windshield placement. Just pay attention to the placement of the 0 position. Škodas have it at 12 o'clock, while the VWs usually have the "auto" at 12 o'clock and the 0 at 11.

It does has it quirks. I would prefer the white backlight to be green or at least dimmer, to match the factory colour scheme or have more settings for the on/off thresholds... All in all, not bad for $40.

ImageImage

3 hours ago, haris said:

Hi,did you have any problems so far?

Have you got any link ?

I suppose it's from aliexpress 

Yes, Aliexpress. As i mentioned, there are lots of suitable models with different sensor placement, different connector types and different placement of the 0 position. I got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918809570.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dIavzmf. The seller is not very responsive to messages, but the product is OK.

Visually fits the car good, as you can see from the photos. The color scheme is a bit off. I would prefer green instead of white or at least not so bright white. I might even do something about it later, if it still bothers me. The configuration controls do not fully work. I managed to turn on tunnel mode (lights turn on quicker than the default), but could not turn off follow-me lights. They usually turn off after 8-9 seconds of exiting a tunnel/garage. The follow me lights are actually sidelights and the car might beep if you open the door while they are on (usually on entering, but also on exiting since they turn one after the unlock on key removal). Thant's in my view a bug in the code, but it's not that big of an issue. I took a drive right about sunset time and the DRLs were still on when the dashboard started to dim a little. Another dim and the light were on. 

All in all, happy with the product.

On 19/09/2020 at 17:51, damjanev said:

Yes, Aliexpress. As i mentioned, there are lots of suitable models with different sensor placement, different connector types and different placement of the 0 position. I got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918809570.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dIavzmf. The seller is not very responsive to messages, but the product is OK.

Visually fits the car good, as you can see from the photos. The color scheme is a bit off. I would prefer green instead of white or at least not so bright white. I might even do something about it later, if it still bothers me. The configuration controls do not fully work. I managed to turn on tunnel mode (lights turn on quicker than the default), but could not turn off follow-me lights. They usually turn off after 8-9 seconds of exiting a tunnel/garage. The follow me lights are actually sidelights and the car might beep if you open the door while they are on (usually on entering, but also on exiting since they turn one after the unlock on key removal). Thant's in my view a bug in the code, but it's not that big of an issue. I took a drive right about sunset time and the DRLs were still on when the dashboard started to dim a little. Another dim and the light were on. 

All in all, happy with the product.

UPDATE:

I had another drive at dusk (~18:30 local time here in Skopje) and the headlight were a bit jumpy. They tend to go on at slightest shadow and then go of after the standard 8-9 seconds. I switched to the default mode (instead of the more sensitive tunnel mode) and let's how it behaves next time, both in tunnels/garages and around sunset.