New to forum

Hi all. 

Entirely new to the forum after buying a 2001 18t vrs. 

Working out the snags just now with after only having it a few hours. The drivers door does not lock with the key or with the central locking, the barrel just spins when the keys in the door. What parts would be needed or are there any how-tos on how to put this right? 

The rest windscreen wiper motor needs replaced. Are there any special bits needed to put that right? The car is missing the cover for the boot, in turn exposing the motor for the rear wiper. The plug for this was not plugged in and didn’t not work whilst plugged in nor unplugged.

TIA 🍻  

the rear washer corrodes itself from the inside. likely that the previous owner pulled the fuse to stop the tesulting electrical gremlins. 

can get a replacement unit if you want.

the boot trim tends to fall off :)

last owner possibly binned having got fed up of putting back in :D

sounds like the drivers door lock mech is knackered and was "solved" by disconnecting it. ebay for a replacement unit, and theres a few good guides on replacing them deanvrs did one in the guides section.

The new mech for the door got delivered yesterday so I’ll get that fitted today. Hopefully this time I don’t lock myself in the car like I done the other day when reconnecting the madness to the mech in the drivers door 🤣 doors must’ve deadlocked while I was inside or something so had to pull the card and go fishing down the door while it was still closed, thank fook ive got monkey arms lol. 

I’ll post back the results :)

so with these what other parts fit straight on from other cars? Always like to plan ahead for any issues that might pop up. 

Welcome to the gang.

I myself have a Diesel estate, and have had it for almost 7 years.  I can't comment on your engine, except for that I had one in my A3 Mk1 many years ago.

Anyway, Sounds like you've gotten off to a start, and if you keep it or any length of time you will find that:  window regulators fail.  The washer nozzle on the rear upper brake light will somehow break off. and the badges look crap when they'e old, but as far as reliability goes, they're great.  Typical VAG fayre really.