Chirping from air con - MK3

Hi all

I have a 2015 Octavia 2.0 TDI Combi. There is an annoying chirping coming from the aircon, almost like a cricket is stuck in there. An odd part of the problem, is that the chirping gets higher when i turn the steering wheel.

It doesnt seem to be affected by temperature setting or fan speed. And its not always there... or maybe it is... my music is just too loud. My passengers are the ones complaining!

Do any of you have any idea what it could be, before i tear the whole dashboard apart?

Sound clip is attached. I have taken off the glovebox and the audio is recorded in front of it.

I have found a few other similar posts, but none that has an answer to whats causing the sound. None of them have the same sound im hearing, and all of the others were/are MK2's.

Thanks in advance.

20201018_110624.mp3

Had a similar noise with my 2015 TDI, went on for over a yr gradually getting worse. replacing the air con compressor resolved it, main Skoda dealer quoted 2x as much to do it as my local garage so shop around

If the noise is coming from there it will likely be low refrigerant pressure & a recharge would stop it, compressor noise would be noticeable under the bonnet, its possible that the recharge after compressor replacement will be what actually cured the noise.

6 minutes ago, Cain79 said:

Had a similar noise with my 2015 TDI, went on for over a yr gradually getting worse. replacing the air con compressor resolved it, main Skoda dealer quoted 2x as much to do it as my local garage so shop around

The sound is coming from withing the car, so i hope its not the compressor. I have a very good shop i use for the stuff i dont want to do myself. Actually going there tomorrow for a DSG service and some new tyres. Might have him take a look at it.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If the noise is coming from there it will likely be low refrigerant pressure & a recharge would stop it, compressor noise would be noticeable under the bonnet, its possible that the recharge after compressor replacement will be what actually cured the noise.

I think i will have my mechanic take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the replys!

Hopefully not the compressor then if it's inside the car but I would get it checked anyway as I could here the chirping when driving mine, regardless of whether the Aircon was on or not as the pulley is always rotating with the belt and it was the bearings or something that went

Edited by Cain79

1 minute ago, Cain79 said:

Hopefully not the compressor then if it's inside the car but I would get it checked anyway as I could here the chirping when driving mine, regardless of whether the Aircon was on or not

I can hear it through the vents i think, and if i turn the air con off, the sound disappears 

Actually had a talk with my mechanic when dropping the car off this morning. He was almost certain that it was the blower fan/motors bearings i could hear.

He said it was such an easy job to replace it, and he wouldnt do it for me, because he knew i could easily do it myself for under half the price.

Sounds like a project for next weekend, if i can get the part in time.

Does anyone know if its worth buying a more expensive one or if the 'discount' brands are fine? The Nissens one costs 97£, and the cheaper brands are half of that.

Its so easy to get out, or at least was on the earlier cars, that you might as well remove it and lubricate the bushes & free up the brushes in their holders.

Better than spending loads of money only to still hear the tinkling and know you have replaced a functional part.

Yes agreed - sounds like a dry bearing.  The other issue is that the compressor could be low on charge (which will also make the HVAC system give out that rattle/squeeky noise).

Edited by varaderoguy

• 6 months later...

Just had this noise start on my 67 Plate SEL. Disappears when I turn off theAirCon/Ventilation completely. AirCon seems nice and cold so not sure a recharge would fix it.

@FrankNicklin

Not quite on topic but I just had my A/C serviced by a very experienced independent I found locally.

It was still good and cold but needed 200grams of gas to refill to 500grams. So just because it's cold does not mean all is necessarily ok. 

Edited by paulski
  • Love it! 1

• 1 year later...