Is tow bar prep needed?

You don’t say what model you are buying , but some models require engine cooling upgrades that are obviously done with tow bar prep at factory and may be expensive if required on a vehicle that hasn’t got the upgrade. Also the 2.0 150 tdi 7 seater with manual gearbox is not homologated for towing and a towbar cannot legally be fitter.

Edited by Kenny R

We had the factory tow bar fitted when we ordered our Kodiaq.

I like the fact it is out of sight when not in use.

Also if you have it in use with something that does not have LED lights, the car alarm will go off if someone unplugs the trailer/caravan plug.

We decided it was better to have it from factory than get one fitted later so we knew it was correctly installed and the car was set up for it.

If you don’t want to get it fitted from the factory, I would definitely get the tow bar prep, not sure what that involves but better to get it done than find out you can’t get a tow bar fitted later.

Opinion varies, but I've never understood why anyone would spec the towbar prep rather than the full towbar.

For the sake of £800 the factory towbar has so many benefits over aftermarket.

If you've any possibility of needing a towbar and are ordering new then the factory towbar is a no-brainer.

A decent branded aftermarket bar with the proper integrated electrics is rarely less than £600. A lot of fitters use their own fitting kit and completely bypass the factory towbar preparation anyway - there's your £200 saving right there.

Even if the aftermarket towbar pretends to fully integrate like the factory system (they rarely do), let alone the upgraded cooling system from the factory, then they still have to completely strip out the rear of the car. Not for me thanks.

For various reasons, I bought a car from stock and it didn't have a tow bar so I got an aftermarket one fitted.  While it works well, I'd definitely go for a factory fit as to make it work he had to take half the car apart and it really wasn't much cheaper

I bought a car from stock and it didn't have a tow bar so I got an aftermarket one fitted

Depends who does he fitting I guess, I was the same as above and you wouldn't know anyone had been near the car when I got it back. It cost £480 for a fixed tow hitch and it's fine.