Octavia mk2 puddle lights

Hi All,

Just wondering my puddle light on one side of my car has gone its a 2011 octavia elegance the facelift model and im just wondering do i need to remove the mirror glass to get at it or can it be removed with the glass still attached. Also what would be the best replacement for the puddle lights? 

Also thinking of upgrading all my bulbs on the interior and exterior if any one has any opinion on the best bulbs to get that would be great thanks.

I am in the same position, and have been for about 6 months. In my case it is on the driver's side. I have bought a pair of 25% longer life bulbs from Halfords, type 501/ W5W.

There is a video on YouTube that shows how to change the bulb. You remove the mirror by pulling its' two tangs out of sockets in the frame then take out 4 screws to release the bulb holder. Total time to fix is about 10 minute.

BUT getting the mirror out is a real pain. I have tried all kinds of tools plus just pulling with fingers. With each tool I gave up when the mirror started to bend. Posts on Briskoda and elsewhere say that it so tight that you have to apply a lot of force and often the glass will break. 

I was considering leaving the bulb as is, after all it is just a puddle light, but I miss it as there are no street lights here.

But I was talking to my SKODA garage when booking the car in service and MOT and they said they can replace the bulb at the same time as they often have to do it - but sometimes the glass mirror breaks! I have told them to try when they have the car (2 Dec) but not to break it! We will see!

I will report back.

Just one of many vids:=     https://resetservicelight.com/change-glass-side-mirror-skoda-octavia-ii-facelift/

On 19/11/2020 at 13:44, octavia011 said:

Hi All,

Also thinking of upgrading all my bulbs on the interior and exterior if any one has any opinion on the best bulbs to get that would be great thanks.

Considering you have a FL LEDs for exterior won't work with the canbus system from my experience. 

I use osram nightbreakers in my H7 dipped beam, haven't touched the H1 main beam at all. 

Interior dome lights are just 501s and 239s, I have LEDs for front and rear dome. 

I will post some pics next time I'm out at the car at night. 

From memory I'm sure I have ring LEDs, bought them year's ago and no longer have the packaging. 

On 19/11/2020 at 20:49, pikpilot said:

BUT getting the mirror out is a real pain. I have tried all kinds of tools plus just pulling with fingers. With each tool I gave up when the mirror started to bend. Posts on Briskoda and elsewhere say that it so tight that you have to apply a lot of force and often the glass will break.

Blimey, mine just sort of pops out pretty easily, just put my fingers behind it and pull it away. Never even thought it would break.

14 minutes ago, blackspaven said:

Blimey, mine just sort of pops out pretty easily, just put my fingers behind it and pull it away. Never even thought it would break.

Yes, pre facelift which push in to a circular ring clip are easy

Facelift versions have a plastic piece on the back of the mirror which has two arms facing towards the front of the car. These arms push into gripper sockets on the main assembly. Must have been designed by the same guy who who designed the cover on the small grill to allow you to change the DRL bulbs! I had to get a Skoda garage to remove mine (for free, including the grunting etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as promised, I can report that the Skoda garage has fixed my puddle light in the driver's mirror. Apparently the official name is an entry light.

The garage warned me that there was a high chance of the mirror breaking but I told them to try to release the mirror up to the point where it seemed likely to break. They added that the mirror usually breaks in cold weather when removing it.

There are some people who seem to have the knack, and their man did remove the "glass" without it breaking. In fact the mirror is not made of glass but acrylic, which explains why mine was bending when I tried.

Changing the bulb for the one I supplied did not work. Further investigate with their software tools showed that the bulb was not being told to be active. A tick in the right place on the software then brought it to life.

At this point I should point out that the same garage had, last year, replaced the door lock assembly in the drivers door. This is a master controller for other doors and many other things. When picking up the car, I noticed the red/white light on the inside of the door card was not illuminating. Straight back to the garage and they found that they had not programed the door lock assembly to activate the door card light. Soon fixed.

So I don't know how the entry light programing had been lost, but it was a simple fix once found. Perhaps there is a fault in my door lock? Perhaps it was when the battery was disconnected at some time? I thought door lock assemblies were just swapped for one with the same part number without a need for programing; or did the garage use a general purpose unit that has to be programmed to the features of the particular car Make and Model?

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 21:00, pikpilot said:

So I don't know how the entry light programing had been lost, but it was a simple fix once found. Perhaps there is a fault in my door lock? Perhaps it was when the battery was disconnected at some time? I thought door lock assemblies were just swapped for one with the same part number without a need for programing; or did the garage use a general purpose unit that has to be programmed to the features of the particular car Make and Model?

On 02/12/2020 at 21:00, pikpilot said:

Changing the bulb for the one I supplied did not work. Further investigate with their software tools showed that the bulb was not being told to be active. A tick in the right place on the software then brought it to life.

Thank goodness for older cars................ when a bulb works simply by plugging it in, without it having to be 'activated or programmed in, Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

Thank goodness for older cars................ when a bulb works simply by plugging it in, without it having to be 'activated or programmed in, Lol.

Hear Hear!

My reason for buying Carista was so I could activate my factory fitted DRL's, cheaper than asking the Skoda garage to do it.

Having got the app I then found loads of other useful hidden features that I could activate. Seems they differentiate between Makes or Models by switching feature on as standard on up market cars as a marketing ploy. 

Reminds me of the story recently in the Sunday times. One of their journalists had bought a Tesla and is very happy with his car. After a few months some of the features no longer worked. Response from Tesla was "Oh, those features are on a x months trial on new cars. If you wish to to continue the cost will be XX or x per month. That is progress?

1 hour ago, pikpilot said:

Reminds me of the story recently in the Sunday times. One of their journalists had bought a Tesla and is very happy with his car. After a few months some of the features no longer worked. Response from Tesla was "Oh, those features are on a x months trial on new cars. If you wish to to continue the cost will be XX or x per month. That is progress?

Aah, but he needs a regular income to keep his SpaceX project afloat, Lol.

And if they can afford a Tesla they can afford it anyway, eh.

On 20/11/2020 at 19:52, Jojo1985g said:

Interior dome lights are just 501s and 239s, I have LEDs for front and rear dome. 

I will post some pics next time I'm out at the car at night. 

From memory I'm sure I have ring LEDs, bought them year's ago and no longer have the packaging. 

Reply to my own comment as I now have managed to get some pictures of my dome lights. The first 2 pictures that look blue are in the rear. 

The other 4 are front. The LED in the middle is the same for both front and rear it's Festoon led which was in my previous car's number plate. 

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG