Cold start noise 1.9 TDI

endrekok

Hi guys.

I have a problem with my mk1 Octavia 1.9 TDI (ALH engine). There is a noise coming from the passenger side after a cold start. I was suspecting the dual mass but if I press the clutch in the sound doesn't change at all. It goes away if I blip the throttle but sometimes comes back. The sound completely goes away if the car is warm, and it doesn't do it on every cold start. It is a strange noise because if I open the hood I can not hear it, only if I lean next to the wheel from the outside. I have changed the serpentine belt tensioner before (which still rattles a bit on cold) but if I press on it the sounds doesn't change. I did some research and only thing I can think of the is the oil pump chain?

Anyway I did a video of the sound I hope you can help me with some ideas what this could be.

(21) ALH 1.9 TDI cold start noise - YouTube

You should really specify your location if you use terms like passenger side or at least say that the vehicle is LHD.

Two possibilities.

1, the E/M clutch on the aircon pulley if your 2005 does not have a later type compressor, they are known for breaking up.

2. The one way clutch in the alternator pulley, but beware, I cant recall if that was only fitted to the MK2's.

Good luck, that is a great, simple, reliable and long lasting engine.

It is a LHD car, so the noise is coming from the opposite side of the gearbox. I turned on the AC while the noise was present but it changed nothing. It does have a one way alternator clutch pulley so I guess that would be a good place to start.

and thanks for the reply :)

If you AC is working then its unlikely to be that, the centre plate of the clutch can break up.

Might be the alternator pulley as I have the same issue, it is a one way pulley and hence the sound might be an indication of the one way clutch mechanism failing.