Convert electric bootlid to gas struts?

Hi!

I have an Octavia 2014 estate.

The bootlid motors is not working properly.

It opens up to the top, but then goes down 30%.

Now I wonder how the conversion to gas struts will go?

Will the closing mechanism work properly after that?

Cheers!

You can convert back to gas struts but why would you want to? I love my power boot so much I retrofitted it, converted from gas struts. Have the car scanned and see what the issue is, if you have a bad strut they aren’t too expensive to replace used. I think I paid €300 for both of mine nearly new. If you wanted to go gas struts you would have to buy and install a new boot latch, new ball joints and gas struts and decode 6D from the gateway. 

Mostly for the outrageous cost here in Sweden to replace them.

So boot latch, ball joints? What's that part? Sorry for my bad English...

And decode with VCDS?

What happens if I don't decode?

I don't mind if it keeps beeping...

• 2 weeks later...

This is fairly simple job!

Gas struts from the regular Octavia without electric bootlid fits plug&play on the same bal-joints.

3T9827721 will plug the holes where the  cables came out.

Then you have to disconnect the cable to the lock mechanism-motor on the chassi (not the bootlid).

And apply 12V to it so the motor pulls back the metal rod to locked position. After that  you don't need to connect the cable back or else it will release the metal rod to open position which you don't want. Just let the cable be unplugged. You won't need that function anymore.

After that your bootlid will lock flush!

Otherwise your boot will rattle a bit and the alignment will be a bit off, but it will lock properly.

Feed the 12V to the lock-motor it will be worth it!

No need for any programming. It will beep like it did before and no warning lights will appear.

• Like 1